Friday 18 November 2011

Once Upon a Sketch - "She Loves" Layout

This week has literally flown by - so much so that I 
actually lost a whole day!  Yesterday I was sure it was 
Wednesday - only to realise in the late afternoon that 
it was actually Thursday - yikes!!  

My whole schedule is up the pole right now, as I 
have my two sons writing exams at the moment 
so I am collecting them at all sorts of different times 
each day, and I have a sick daughter at home, plus
it is raining 24/7, so all in all things are a little weird 
around here this week...


Hence I am a little late with sharing my Design Team 
layout for Once Upon a Sketch. We were required to
journal at least 2 lines about what we (or another female
in our lives) loved about being a girl/woman.  

***{I must point out here that my daughter is only 11
and of course not allowed to wear high heels - 
these belong to her 18 year old sister!!}***



 Cami was my obvious choice as she just LOVES being 
a girl - plus I had the most awesome Instax photos already 
on my desk waiting to be scrapped!
 

 I wanted the whole layout to be pretty so I started 
off with a rectangular doily (thank you Rachael!) & spritzed 
it with yellow {for my new favourite colour scheme - pink & 
yellow!} but it was too wide so I folded it before adhering it.


I arranged FIVE photographs (credit-card sized), together with 2 
journaling cards & 3 frames, altogether on top of the doily 
before adding my title, journaling & embellishments - ALL in 
the space where the ONE photo is on the sketch!


I even used a dud (reject) Instax shot behind one 
of the photos, to layer things up, rather than just 
chucking it in the bin...


 I used 3 GORGEOUS Imaginarium Designs chipboard butterflies
which I painted with gesso then dipped in glitter while still wet.


 Yay for my printer being fixed!  
I wanted computer journaling for this one!!


I asked Cami what she liked MOST about being a girl
& used her answer as my journaling!

 I cut one of the Imaginarium Designs ornate chipboard flourishes
in half to use at the top of my layout & used a large ornate
frame to draw attention to my focal-point - the photograph of
Cami's beautiful long legs in the silver high-heels!

{I added glue on top of the gesso so that the glitter 
would adhere more strongly to the main frame}



Supplies List for "She Loves" Layout

Spotted paper - Bo Bunny Flamingo Double-Dot
Doily - Dollar Store
Mist - Sunflower Yellow - Maya Road
Journaling cards - Cocoa Daisy
Heart file tab - Basic Grey
Flag - Pebbles
Frame - My Mind's Eye - Tres Joilie - Oooh La La - Sunshine
Scallop Frames - K & Co.
Chipboard Butterflies & Frames - Imaginarium Designs
Gesso - Paper Plus
Glitter - LSS - Strawberry Swirls
Stick pin - Mitralee - thank you!
Pennant Flag Ribbon - Dear Lizzy for American Crafts
Glitter alphas - My Little Shoebox
Numerals - Making Memories Tiny Alphas
Red Staples -Making Memories





26 comments:

yyam said...

Oooh how gorgeous! Love the colours you used! The yummy little details! And what a fun subject matter too. I love my heels!

Tina said...

Fabulous Helen! Love your techniques and tips!

Stefanie said...

Beautiful, amazing to me how you rock that colour combo. Love the idea of the folded doilie and how you made it look square and flat.
Does she have your legs?

Irini said...

Gorgeous gorgeous layout!!....
love the details and all those girlie colours!
hugz
irini

Vicky Varvadouka said...

Wow! She will cherish this layout when she grows up!!! Thanks for the step by step! It is very useful!!!
Hugzzz!!!

Bellaidea said...

Oh, this one is so much fun! No wonder she loves heels:), me too!

sandi said...

Oh Helen this is just beautiful! Loved it the minute I saw it! The misting is fab too!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

That is the cutest thing, I love love love all the adorable details!

Marilyn said...

FABULOUS page, Helen!! love all the layering and the pics makes me smile, it reminded me when I was little(a few years ago, lol!!!) I used to wear my aunt's shoes, I love the "tacos"(in Spanish), too!!! Lovely colors!!! Wonderful work!!! Thanks for the Congrats Dear !!
Have a nice weekend!!! HUGS!! :)

Leonie said...

This is so gorgeous Helen. Fantastic layering and I love
the glitter on the chippie pieces. Great Stuff!!!

Mitralee said...

Adorable! Let's hope things get more settled soon and your daughter feels better! We have snow here I'd trade you for rain! I love what you did to that doily and the glitter oh so pretty!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Soooooooooo GORGEOUS! I loveeeeeeeeeeeeee the photos, the misting and love love love love the layers!! You AMAZE ME! :):):):):):):):):):):)

tania said...

she is just a doll!! stunning layout and cute photies:)

Unknown said...

Cami is such a girly girl...Are those your shoes??
I can tell that she loves dressing up!! Is she going to be a heartbreaker someday? Your kids are so gorgeous, so watch out mom and dad..boys and girls will be knocking on your door..i'm sure they do that now ;-)

Another pretty LO!! Love the misted doily..where did you get the rectangle doily? Never seen those before..

Hugs..M

Cassandra aka Scrap Savvy said...

Such cute photos! Spectacular take on the sketch. Love all your embellis and details!

Thanks Helen for showing your process. I am always facinated to see how others think and work to come up with such wonderful creations.Great post!:)

Lea said...

Oh my, I love what she told you to journal! She is a girly one LOL! This layout is beautiful. Love how you turned the sketch into a multi photo layout and the layering on here is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing your process!

Eila Sandberg said...

Ahhh am totally with Cami about the girly stuff, too bad my footsies have expanded since my hey days. Wearing high heals now is a rather painful affair. The whole page is a tribute to girlyness, totally fab Helen! Mwah!

Alison said...

Great idea to fold the doilly..I saw some that size the other day and just thought they were too big to do anything with!
Alison xx

scrapbookertink said...

Hi Helen, sounds like you are super busy too, love the girlie layout, too cute, take care Doreen x

Lynnda said...

Supa Gorgeous Helen... I Love the journalling too... very girlie... perfect for your daughter!!! Awesome... hugs..xoxo

Marelize said...

Wow! What a fantastic take on the challenge Helen!! That colour combo is beautiful and I just love how funky this whole layout is. Hope you have a great week. xx

Unknown said...

WOW so Gorgeous and so great journalling!!

hugs carla

Kerryn said...

ooooh I LOVE this Helen!!!

Hope the boy's exams have gone well :).

Unknown said...

oh my Helen..this is beautiful!! Love all the girlie details and thanks for sharing your how to's!! Have a great week :))xx

gracescraps@gmail.com said...

What a gorgeous LO!! Love your chipboard treatment!! ~ Blessings

http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

Diana said...

Cuteness!