Thursday 24 November 2011

Bird is the Word has a new challenge up! The word is Trust! {Glitz Design Vintage Blue Layout - Trust Layout}






Bird is the Word is such a cool challenge site 
because it is SO EASY to play along with any of 
their challenges & also to combine them with other 
challenges, plus there is always an awesome new 
Tidbitz in Time kit up for grabs for the winner, as well 
as a "Featured Badge" for all 5 featured winners 
{who are all chosen by the Design Team}
I really encourage you to play along this fortnight by 
incorporating the word TRUST anwhere on your layout.



layout design - I turned the sketch on it's side and
substituted the chevron design for strips of paper,
masking tape, packing tape & Tim Holtz mini film strips.

I was inspired to do the "strip thing" from seeing so many 
SMASH projects around and like the casualness of it -
it's also good for a masculine layout I think.



To create my background I just cut up some strips of Glitz 
Design "Vintage Blue" paper & adhered it down randomly - 
layering masking & packaging tape under & over it {I tore
the tape instead of cutting it} then I stapled the Tim Holtz film 
strips on top.


 Once I had my vintage cards in place I marked them
with pencil where they could be cut so as not to waste
them underneath my photo, then I kept the extra bits
to use up in future.  (I used one of these bits on the
card I blogged about yesterday).


Before adhering my photo {which I matted with printed paper
from the same collection)I unraveled some thread to use as
embellishement & adhered each end underneath the photograph
then randomly matted the rest of it, adhering it with micro glue
dots{best invention ever!}


 Next I added stickers from the same line ("Seize the Day"
& Let's have an adventure") then scratched around in my
embellishment drawer & found the compass, sandpaper circle
& pinking sheared circle tag & layered that up into an
embellishment - that prompted my journaling "Trust your heart
& you will find your true North" - which I printed out onto photo
paper, together with the quote on the bottom right of the photo.



My printer was being temperamental & splodged ink on
the journaling - my first thought was to reprint it -then I
decided - nah, it looks pretty cool, so I left it & grunged the
journaling up further using my inks.



 I also inked up the Sassafras numerals & the Tim Holtz
Idea-ology tags - spraying them with mist & water then
wiping off the excess before randomly sanding them.


 Great quote.  Look here for more.


 Supplies List for "Trust Your Heart" Layout

Printed paper - Glitz Design "Vintage Blue" -
Blue Motif, Blue Floral, Blue Polka
Masking tape, packing tape, staples,
thread, compass, tag  - stash
Tickets & filmstrips - Tim Holtz Idea-ology
Stickers & "what-nots" - Glitz Design
Vintage Blue
Numeral stickers - Sassafras Green Graph
Font - Traveling Typewriter
Inks- Green & Ochre - Making Memories





23 comments:

Marelize said...

This is such a cool boy layout Helen!! I love how you've used the film strip and the colours are amazing! xx

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Sooooooo GORGEOUS! I loveeeeeeeeee that photo, the tickets and loving the film strips! :):):):):):):):):):):)

Sabrina Scrapbook said...

Gorgeousness!! I really like the background, Helen!! Urgghhh yeah, I am quite busy, plz bear with me ok!! :)))

Blossom inch said...

awesome tutorial and awesome page of your boy...love the quote and thanks for the link! Hugs

Stefanie said...

I love the step by step shots and the layers you make. I think it is great that you save the bits that would be under the photos as well - a girl after my own heart.

tania said...

What a fab layout plus step by step!!! you rocked this challenge!!

Kerryn said...

LOVE that you have created a grungy boy page with this collection. Fabulous!

Heather Jacob said...

firstly hooray for Helen getting her clog back hooray !!!!!!!! that is super fantastic news ... and this page is out of this world gorgeous ... Helen this is my new fave of yours ... I adore it .. all the texture, colours, design everything .... you are on fire girl .... hugz x

Alanna said...

Lovd love love this Helen! All the layers and different textures etc are great. Just lovely :)

Alison said...

Great boy page..and great tutorial
Alison xx

Mitralee said...

Really enjoyed this and so did my Mom who was looking over my shoulder on my iPad!

Georgia Heald said...

Stunning Helen! Love your layering and the whole vintage feel with a modern photo, just amazing!

yyam said...

This is a work of art Helen. I love the strips of tape and the flim strips...the awesome colour combo, the texture with the string and all the text! Perfectly angle photo too! :)

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Wow this is gorgeous!!! I love how "clean" your layouts are! I bought a lucky dip at the PP sale with some other stuff.... you just don't want to know how much I already have though!!! LOL!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Awesome masculine project, wonderful layering!!

Jessy Christopher said...

What can I say... this piece is masculine and it's beautiful at the same time!! The layering is awesome!

jeanie g said...

Hi Helen I've at last managed to click on your Blog without being disconnected within 30 seconds. I love your Trust LO, the detailed tutorial has given me so many inspirational tips. Love how you layered all your papers and the title is just perfect. Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. Still miss CCG so much xx Hugs and love

Lynnda said...

Gorgeous layout Helen... I love the layering... the mix and match... with a touch of vintage as well... Awesome.... Glad to see you back again... hugs..xoxo

scrapbookertink said...

Loving this one, so masculine, love how you used the vintage tags and the TH ticket tags, take care, Doreen x

Rachael Funnell said...

I Just LOVE "Strip thing".....
The masking tape & The Tim Holtz Film Strips is FAN FAB U LAS.......
A Truly Funky Boy layout!!!!
♥♥

Jasmine S said...

Wow I just love this. I loved too watching how it all came together. And I cannot believe how good that range is for a boy page too. I created a very very feminine page so great to see the contrast.
And love that quote. I might have to use it if I can....

Eila Sandberg said...

YESS YESS!! this is truly so awesome Helen!! love the step-by-step, thanks ever so much! xoxoxox

FiKenward said...

Great take on the sketch, I don't blame you for running with strips of paper instead of the chevrons as they were quite hard incorporate. I can also see Lilith's influence here with all that string embellishing. And the green paint is really eye catching.