Tuesday 13 December 2011

3 Scrappy Boys 12 Days of Christmas Crop {Christmas Tree Embellishment Tutorial}


Just sharing a quick tutorial I did today for the last 
day of the 3 Scrappy Boys "12 Days of Christmas" Crop.
I shamelessly scraplifted this idea from my friend Chantal's
layout here - I did warn her so am hoping she is flattered
rather than mad with me!!
We're really in the swing of the Christmas season here &
it's leaving me exhausted!  We are having to go out 3 times
a week in the evenings, and that is usually my studio time, so
I haven't been too productive of late & amazed even myself
that I managed to whip this tutorial up today, but it was my
Design Team day, so I had to do it (always a great motivator LOL!)

1.  Fold a piece of offcut paper in half and mark 
out your Christmas tree/triangle shape.


 2.  Cut out your tree shape then fold open & repeat, 
making your next tree slightly smaller than your first.


 3.  Use your cut-out trees as templates and trace around 
your larger tree, onto a piece of offcut paper.


4.  Grab a bunch of offcuts & cut them into random 
strips, approx 1/2 to 1inch wide and various lengths.


 5.  Add glue all over your triangle shape.


6. Adhere different offcut prints horizontally across your tree
shape, adding some strips of printed masking tape/washi tape
if you like.

 7.  Cut around  your tree shape (do this by placing your 
tree template over your adhered strips, tracing around & 
cutting out the triangle shape).


8.  Cut a brown offcut strip approx 1cm wide to use as a 
tree trunk, find some plain cardstock to use as a base for 
your layout, some fun Christmas photos and start creating!

Come back tomorrow to see the finished layout!





14 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhh this is AWESOME!! LOVING how you did that tree! :):):):):):):):):):):)

Blossom inch said...

awesome tutorial!

Chantal Vandenberg said...

So awesome, Helen!!! Oh no - I am totally not angry! LOL! I'm very flattered, indeed! :D Looking forward to seeing the next installment with the finished layout - I'm in suspense right now!!!! :D

xo

Lynnda said...

Awesome... can't wait to see the finished job!!... hugs..xoxo

Evgenia Petzer said...

great idea!

Marilyn said...

Super cool...I love it!!! it looks easy and lovely!! Yes, these days are crazy for me, too!! I was thinking in you the other day because I saw a watch...Did you buy the watch??? Take Care Dear!!!! Hugs!! :)

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

What a brilliant idea, hmmm.... that might be good way to clean up my craft table (*sigh... all those scraps laying around)

tania said...

beautiful sneak preview:) sure the end result is going to be all glamour:)

Vicky Varvadouka said...

Oh, that's a great idea Helen! TFS!!! Awaiting for the finished one!!!
Hugs!!

Vicky Varvadouka said...

I forgot to thank Chantal too..LOL ;)

Alison said...

Great tutorial Helen...TFS!
Alison xx

Heather Jacob said...

your posts are always so interesting and fun Helen my friend ... this is a fabulous technique and I have done this with fabric too .... love the way you present everything .. awesome work .. xoxo
Baden is getting better day by day xoxox

Kerryn said...

The tree looks fabulous!! And such fun photos too!

Unknown said...

wow gorgeouse love the tree... TFS!!!!

XXXHugs
carla