Thursday 15 December 2011

Sketchabilities Sketch 61 - Hallelujah Layout {plus a quick Layout Photography tip!}








Time for another sketch challenge over at Sketchabilities and
this time it's full of circles!!  Now sometimes I love 
me a good circle sketch & other times I have some 
photos pre-printed that I am really dying to use!  

I'm sure it's the same with you so...
don't feel that you HAVE to cut your photos into circles - 
there are many ways to approach a circle-based sketch, 
and I chose to bring the circles in via my embellishments.

I kept this one very clean & simple in keeping 
with the mood I wanted to create.




I took these photos of Jack at his school musical, 
from in the crowd, and no flashes were allowed, 
so I had to pump my ISO up really high. 
I was very happy with the results tho...considering!



 I printed out the photos on an A4 sheet, as a 
Picasa collage, and then cut them up separately.

This works a treat if you remember to keep the
"grouting" wide enough so that when you cut 
between the photos you still have a white border 
showing all around, if you like this effect like I do!



The pen is actually silver - I just can't find a decent white 
journaling pen that hasn't dried out the next time I reach for it, 
it's annoying me actually as I had to throw 4 away the other day!


The gorgeous doily embellishments are from Martha Stewart Crafts.
The song he was singing was "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen,
hence the title.


The alphas are Webster's Pages - they are SO handy - 
I have almost all the different colour combinations!
-----------------------------------------------------------

Supplies List for "Hallelujah" page

Black cardstock - American Crafts
Doily - stash
Doily embellishments  - Martha Stewart Crafts
Alpha & Numeral Stickers - Webster's Pages
Silver journaling pen - Aquila Unique

----------------------------------------------------------------

***Now for the tip!***
I'm sure I'm not the only one that has had to
rephotograph a layout because I've only seen,
afterwards, when I have already uploaded the photographs,
that there are "little bits" of fluff, etc, on it. 
Here is how I solved the problem!



I bought myself a big cosmetics brush, that lives in 
my studio, in it's packaging case, that I keep especially
for brushing off all my layouts before I photograph them!



 It works an absolute treat & is 100% my own idea
{well I have never read about it anywhere else!}

I only wish I had thought of it sooner...
I don't know how I ever lived without it!!





18 comments:

Bellaidea said...

Helen, this time I have a big problem with your post....
I just don`t know if I admire more your talent or...your son`s! This song is sooo difficut!
Well, you are one talented family! Hugs!

Diana said...

Very cool page!

Diana said...

PS. I love how you adapted the sketch! Genius!

Alison said...

Love your take on the sketch..and the B&W pics are awesome-as is the brush tip!
Alison xx

Lynnda said...

Beautiful B&W layout!!! You rocked it... Helen... I totally heart this...You are amazing ... hugs..xoxo

yyam said...

Wow! Love the b/w contrast! Just so eye-catching! :)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Love love love love this!! I loveeeeee those photos and the way you did the title!!! :):):):):):):):):):):)

dstandard said...

Fabulous page - I haven't seen those MS doilys but will be looking - love this!

Cindy Fortin said...

Wow! I really love what you've done with the sketch!
I really love sketches with circles but I never use them cause it'is difficult to find a picture that can be cut in this shape. Now maybe I'll try one of those beautiful sketches full of circles!

tania said...

your photos are brilliant!! your son is shining on the stage!wow!! beautiful layout where the main focus is the photos!!

Jasmine S said...

Wow wow wow. I don't know what I love more. The b&w, the design, the photos of your DS (which turned out brilliantly) or that song as a title (which is one of my faves). I would love to hear him sing.
So, onto the printing. I print all of my photos onto an A4 sheet. That way I can use different sizes, get as many onto my page as I can fit and to have them when I need them.
And re the white pen. I have a brilliant one. At one of the Expos I finally found one that did a brilliant job, especially when writing on photos. Unfortunately one has ran out and the other is about to. I will try and find it on the net and I will let you know. If not, I will buy some more at the next Expo and send it to you. They are fabulous.
Ok, best go now....lol.

Leonie said...

Fabulous take on the sketch Helen, know what you mean about not always wanting to use circles. But what you've done is great.
Those Doilies look great will have to keep my eye out for those.
I've yet to find a really good white pen too, very hit and miss, they work great to begin with then go kaput in a hurry, very frustrating! Cheers.

Kerryn said...

I adore this Helen!!!!! It is so striking and eyecatching with the black and white and that touch of colour from the bottom photos. LOVE it!!!!!

Sheila said...

The photos are stunning---can't believe you took them with no flash!!! This layout is so simple and clean---love it!

Unknown said...

just so wonderful design my friend

I wish you a happy christmas!!

hugs carla

Cassandra aka Scrap Savvy said...

Wow! Fabulous photos and wonderful take on the sketch! Your son is such a cutie!:)

Jessy Christopher said...

I love the title & also how you tackle the sketch with using b&w! So cool. Thanks for the tips :)

Eila Sandberg said...

Am soooo echoing all the previous ladies! would LOVE to hear him sing! gosh! you folks are really so talented, singing, dancing, photographing, scrapping, have to ask what Shane's speciality is? xoxoxo