Friday 24 May 2013

'Keep Going' Layout - My Creative Scrapbook - Guest Designing for The Color Room - Prima





Haaaaaapy Friday!!  It's been a loooooong week!!!
Today is the new reveal at The Color Room HERE
 & the design team at My Creative Scrapbook was
 invited to Guest Design this month - yay!!


Her's the palette we got to work with, which I must say was not one I would have chosen, so I was really surprised & happy that my layout turned out to be one I really liked!


I thought I'd show you my base paper before it got mostly covered up!  Sometimes I mark lightly with a pencil & only develop the background in those places, but that's not so easy with mists & for this layout I didn't know exactly how it would end up - I just had a vague idea & it developed organically.


I found some older photos that already had the blue in them so decided to go with those, accented with yellow flowers & kept the two duller colours for the background & other embellishments.


I think these types of busy & grungy mixed media backgrounds work well for male & teenage pages.


As well as the Prima Metal embellishments I also used some copper electrical wire (see it coming out from the top of the photo above) which is a cool alternative to the tangled thread look.


I used some Zva Creative bling, which I cut up from a flourish & used as individual 'confetti' dots.


I layered up a couple of the photos for interest & tucked a Prima chipboard corner between them for some extra dimension.


I've taken to dampening a sponge with water then adding a teeny bit of white acrylic paint & using it to dab my embellishments & parts of my background paper as I like the look of it & it also mutes everything nicely & tones things down, making for a calmer palette.


As well as various mists, paints & inks I did add some tangled threads.  I use Multi Medium Matte to keep them in place.


Apart from the Prima flowers, wooden & metal embellishments, chipboard & alphas, the wire, thread & mediums I added some tags & some burlap leaves for additional texture.

Have a lovely weekend & say a prayer for my internet connection.
It is causing me so many setbacks I could cry...



21 comments:

Elena Olinevich said...

Love your work on the background, fabulous LO

Desire Fourie said...

Absolutely gorgeous and your take on the colour inspiration is so vibrant and creative.
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Michelle said...

You are the queen of the mixed media pages!! This is wonderful! I hope your weekend is off to a great start.

Lizzy Hill said...

You've infected me, Helen...got no Internet on my laptop...none all day. iPad is still working, but I can't do posts on it. Feeling your pain!!!! LOVE this LO....that bg is STUNNING, & I'm a big fan of organic workings!!!! Great idea with the sponge & paint too.....have a great weekend :):):)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wow wow wow!! So GORGEOUS Helen!! LOVING the colors, the flowers and that background is amazing!!!

Lynnda said...

Wow wow Helen!!... I am loving the background... its beautiful and very artsy!!! What a stunning layout!!! As always my friend... hugs...x

Evgenia Petzer said...

absolutely lovely! great colors!

Marjie Kemper said...

Oooh lah lah! Loving everything about that gorgeous background.

Carin McDonough said...

Oh WOW Helen, I just love, love, love this layout! Every little detail is perfect :) Fingers crossed for your internet!

Kerryn said...

Woohoo! Looks amazing!

Adriana B said...

congrats on the Guest spot
love the background, amazing as always, have a great weekend too :)

Keren Tamir said...

wow FAntastic background!! I love how it turned out!! and I totally get it about covering it up!! it just happened it just happened to me too on my last layout!!

Val-Belle said...

Congrats on the DT spot... how cool. I have to say the colours would have been a bit of a challenge for me too but I love how your layout turned out. The background is amazing! I love the photos and the B & W cut out is a really neat touch. Gorgeous!

Svjetlana said...

This is so beautiful, love your background and how you put everything together.

Svetlana Austin said...

amazing project, Helen! I just love what you did with the background!

Jean Bullock said...

Wonderful page!

yyam said...

That background is amazing! I love the white paint on the embellishments too...it ties them up very nicely!:)

P/s: Sorry about your internet connectivity issues. It must be terribly frustrating!

Mitralee said...

Thanks for hooking us up with the background photo first and then showing us what you made! That was cool! Love those photos with the blue. I think I agree on the pallet, but seeing what you made..it certainly works very well!

ANUPAMA CHOUDARY said...

This goes into my all-time faves!

Bellaidea said...

Color Room is a place for you! :)

Eila Sandberg said...

Gosh! that background is truly fabbo Helen! this sure is one challengeing palette but you just rocked it, as always!! thumbs up big time darling!! xoxo