Saturday 1 October 2011

Scrap-it-Lah October Challenge {Safe in His Arms Layout}





We have a cracking new challenge up at Scrap-it-Lah for the month of October!  We have the wonderful Eila Sandberg, all the way from Stockholm, Sweden as our Guest Designer & the challenge is to create a LAYOUT {no cards or other projects accepted - we are strictly a layout challenge blog!} including:-

1.  Hand-stitching

2.  Fussy-cutting

3.  Old book pages/music sheet paper/something similar

The stuff that shabby-chic dreams are made of no?!


I hope it shows that I LOVED the challenge!  I finally received my Crafter's Workshop 12" stencil & can assure you already that I am going to get my money's worth out of that thing!  LOVE!!!


I was sent a few sheets of the most PERFECT for fussy-cutting paper that you ever-did-see by precious Marivic from Berry 71 Bleu, as part of my incredibly generous Guest Designer package, so I am not sure of the manufacturer, but I am guessing Die-Cuts with a View???


I could see that I needed to ground my page on a darker border but it was looking a bit startling so this Vintage-inspired netting from Webster's Pages was just what I needed to "dullify" it a bit - way more subtle...


I used thick, metallic red embroidery thread & intentionally made my stitching very crude.  
I started off by inking my paper quite heavily with varying shades, over my CW stencil then used an eraser to give the ink a softer, more "printed" look...


I decided on a fairly-cliched shabby-chic trick & turned back the corner 
{rolled it tightly over a skewer then let it unravel a bit & glue-dotted it down}
but the black corner looked stark so I had one fussy-cut element left that I tucked in there under the tulle...


I layered up 3 "old-book pages" from my Glitz Design stash {Paper Layers} & tore open the centre-top then created a little fan-effect with the tulle & slipped a doily behind it in a gorgeous burnt orange shade.

SAFE IN HIS ARMS SUPPLIES LIST:-

Black Cardstock - Bazzill Bling
Backing Paper - Glitz Design Laced with Grace
Chicken-wire Stencil - Crafter's Workshop
Inks - Yellow Cadmium, Aubergine - Color Box
Bronz - Versa Color
Eraser
Red metallic thread - DMG
Tulle - Webster's Pages Vintage Inspired Netting 2011
Doily - Etsy
Vintage book-pages - Paper Layers - Glitz Design - Love Nest
Fussy-Cut Elements - Die Cuts with a View
Big Alphas - Sassafras - Fawnd of You Too
Smaller alphas - Delish Flocked Lowercase Bistro Collection
Teeny alphas - Glitz Design - Wood Grain
Date stamp - Heidi Swapp





16 comments:

Kerryn said...

oh Helen this is SERIOUSLY YUM!!!! LOVE how you've used the crafters workshop template :).

Karen said...

Oh my Helen!! This is simply stunning!!!!
I have that stencil coming in the 6x6 size but perhaps I need the larger one too!!!
I love the way you have created the background, perfect and there are so many divine elements to look at in this page!
Might have to give this a go!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wow wow wow wowwwwwwwwwwwwww! This is GORGEOUS! I loveeeeeeeeeee that photo, the lace material, the fussy cutting, the stitching! Just WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! :):):):):):):):):):):)

Cindy Fortin said...

Wow!!! What a jaw dropping LO!
I love the lace on the background and all the shabby details.
I really appreciate shabby style, but I'm just unable to do it myself... So I really enjoy looking at others' LO!

sandi said...

Wow! Helen this just amazes me.....................WWWWWWOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!! Awesome! And I love that stencil too!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Precious!!! so precious!!!!
I love that stencil too! thanks for sharing!

Desire Fourie said...

Just loving this vintage creation, so much to feast one's eyes on.
Desire

Cathy said...

WOW Helen your page is gorgeous.. loving all the technique and beautiful detail which you do so well!! :)) hugs

Blossom inch said...

a lovely page yet again and what a precious pic of your DD and her daddy.

Unknown said...

HELEN!!!!!!!!!!!
You are on FIRE!!!! Please send some creativity over to me!!!lol!! Lost for words...totally amazing!! :))xx

Jasmine S said...

More misting and yumminess. Fabulous texture on here Helen and love that stitched border, the photo is just too cute and the book paper and butterflies are a highlight.

Denise Price said...

Yes, I can definitely tell that you had fun creating this page, Helen!! :)

This is the first time that I've heard of Scrap-it-Lah, but it looks like a fun challenge. I think I'll give it a try. Glancing at the Scrap-it-Lah blog, I see that I missed you challenge last month. Darn! But I know Eila from the Color Room, and I admire her work, so I'm happy to get inspo from her for this challenge. It should be fun!

Yolande (pronounced you-land-a) said...

How incredibly gorgeous...so love the netting on the background, the lovely book pages and your stitching...you rocked this!

Lynette Jacobs said...

Wow...this layout is absolutely amazing! I love everything about it. I would love to watch you scrap;-)

Diana said...

Fab. Love all the details.

Eila Sandberg said...

Whoah Helen! that photo is absolutely so precious, love it to bits! and your page, I say WOWZER!! xxxx