Wednesday 13 January 2010

Finally! {It's happened...}





4 years after relocating to Kwa-Zulu Natal we are the proud owners of a very beautiful home - having most probably viewed every property on the market in our neighbourhood in the last 4 months! We've spent almost every Sunday afternoon looking at show houses only to be disappointed by the grotty state of most of them & their inflated prices. We found 2 suitable homes but both of them were slightly above what we could afford & needed ongoing renovations that we would have to do over many years. The situation didn't look hopeful...

We spent this last Sunday afternoon at Sibaya utilizing some free vouchers we had been given so only started looking for "On Show" signs half an hour before closing time. We stopped at a couple that weren't worth getting out of the car for then decided to head home our usual route. We saw a new sign {most show houses here are the same week after week} & decided to take a quick look so that at least we would have walked into ONE for the week! Prices are never advertised on the boards so you have to enquire once inside but from my initial impression when I first walk in I can usually quickly determine what the asking price is. DH & I both presumed it would be out of our league only to discover that the house was priced significantly lower than the norm for what it was. {We later discovered that this was due to the owner's circumstances}

It's a touch on the small side but we plan to overcome that by installing more storage. Apart from that it's everything we could wish for & more! We put in our offer almost immediately & after some minor tussling it's all ours! Funny thing is I still keep slowing down when I drive past "For Sale" signs & yesterday grabbed a copy of the latest "Property Mag" only to remember that I didn't need a house anymore! It's going to take a while to get our storage installed but we have a lease to complete so we have the time to get it all done before moving in. The thought of the actual move is dreadful {the packing up & organisation to get the phone, ADSL line, etc disconnected & reconnected, etc} but I know the view will make it all worthwhile...{ she says... not kidding}...


15 comments:

Jenny in Durbs said...

Congratulations what a fantastic start to the New Year, may it be a wonderful one for you guys.

tania said...

Yeah!!! Great Helen, so you need to get packing!! that is a great feeling, enjoy!!
Thanks, got my kit, Luuuuuvely!!

Shayne said...

What incredible news. I know how anxious you have been about this for a while, you must have such a sense of calm (despite the moving angst!) now.

Looking forward to seeing your new home.

HOw exciting!

Lynette Jacobs said...

That is going to be your view? Wow Helen...that would make all the schlep of moving worth while.

Congratulations...can't wait to see your new home.

Penny said...

Oh Helen, such exciting news!! Dying to see some photos

Penny said...

PS Hope there's a good sized scrapbook room - is that where the storage is for?!?

Bernadine said...

So happy for you and the family. :)

Finally got my Cocoa Daisy kit this afternoon - lovely stuff - going to keep it to use for my uk trip.

Vicki said...

That must be such a relief to you all. Can't wait to see some photos. LOL

topkatnz said...

Fantastic news Helen - congratulations! It can be hard to stop looking once you have made a purchase.

Michelle Ramsay said...

Oh, wow that is fantastic news!!! I don't envy the packing, but then you are organised and you have wonderful children to help out. Good luck and yes, I would love to see a photo.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
CathQuillScrap said...

Wow congrats... will be nice for you to finally settle into something that is YOURS. good luck with all the nitty gritties.

Ella Swan said...

Thanks everyone! It's really exciting as we have been waiting so long for this ;-D I have already started sorting through all our belongings...dreadful job in this heat...Won't be able to take any photos until the transfer is effected which should be in about 9 weeks!!! Yes Lynette we have a full-on sea view which is a dream come true...Penny the storage is for Chelsea's bedroom & my scraproom. She will be upstairs in a room they used as a gym, that has no fitted cupboards but space for a long line of them {yes she gets the best sea view lol} & I am sacrificing our hall for a scrapspace & it is tiny! Let me know the dimensions of yours & we can compare - I'm sure yours is bigger though - it is the same shape as yours - long & narrow - but I made sure there was room in our budget for floor to ceiling cupboards ;-D There is also a storeroom outside & I am putting in a garden shed too, so here's hoping we can fit all our stuff in! BTW my pc is refusing to cooperate so is waiting at the door for repair - I am on DH's pc just for today & really frustrated as I have spent the whole week trying to get it fixed so I can get back online ;-(

Penny said...

Hi Helen! My room is 1.85 by 3.5m

Pearl said...

hOW EXCITING FOR you Helen to be moving into a place you fancy in the New Year ! woot !

Wow ! I didnt think new releases scrappy stuff are that difficult arriving into Sth Africa ! I would grab schtuff from 2 peas too ! Have you checked out A Million Memories before ? I do love their yummy vintage trims , ribbons etc