Thursday 30 April 2009

Layouts no. 3 & 4 (Backporch Memories)

Our challenge during the Backporch Memories crop was to do a layout/s based on the colour scheme of this room. (Pretty room huh?)


Also taking the textural differences into account, tactile feels, etc.




The above layout is NOT MINE! I wish it was - rather gorgeous...It belongs to Lana - the DT member who set the challenge. It is her example.



I liked the look of the black cardstock backing so followed suit. (BTW you wouldn't believe how difficult it is to get hold of black bazzill in this town...I bought this in Joburg on my visit last month). I'm so enjoying the scalloped bazzill at the moment. It is so beautifully die-cut (way better than I could ever cut it...) so I plonked this lovely shade of green on top. I layered 4 interesting strips (all cut from printed papers) below an A4 photo that I cut into a square & used some simple doodlebug alphas for my title. A bit of bling, a metal heart, a sticker heart and 4 brads & we're almost done. The date in MM tiny ledgers & some hand-journalling & another one down! That was a bit of a speed-scrap page.



This one was very textural. I liked it so much that I framed it (rubbish frame I might add...all I could find here & very disappointing) & gave it to my Aunt (next to me in the photo). We all look half-descent in the photo, which is a miracle in itself. I'm enjoying this particular shade of green bazzill right now...The pink marbly paper behind the top right-hand corner is the backing sheet from some embellishments I bought (why not?) so that was free ;-D The greeny/pinky strip down the side & across the bottom is local paper (Enmarc). I'm pretty impressed with their efforts. The paper is ultra cute (owls) - the texture is totally wrong (smooth & slipperywhich cheapens it - they need to make it matt) but I like the print. I added a Tres Jolie sticker strip along the bottom then stapled on some crochet ribbon ( I inked it with dark brown first) from my Cocoadaisy kit (March).

I cut up the rest of my KI Memories Lace Cardstock (the bright pink holey stuff) & put some at the top & some at the bottom (also grunged up a bit with the DB ink) then used some MM felt & faux leather flowers to pretty it up a bit & added some rhinestones & buttons. For my title I used some MM white flocked alpha stickers that I softened with a dryish inkpad (that's why you shouldn't chuck 'em away) in pink & brown respectively. The pink corner (top right) was jumping out at me a bit so I toned it down with some 7Gypsies circle stickers in nice spicy tones. It's already up on the wall in Joburg & (hopefully) a nice reminder of a happy family gathering!

7 comments:

Irish Diaspora said...

Wow, Helen, you have been scrapping up a storm of late. All gorgeous work too!

Michelle Ramsay said...

Lovely layouts.

Jenny said...

Love, love, love your scrapping!

Mieke said...

Gorigious layouts, that spring fling crop weekend was so much fun. Too bad I had to work, otherwise I would have done more challenges.
You are on a roll here with scrappin'!

Lynette Jacobs said...

Helen...you have been one busy lady lately. I love this colour combination...beautiful layouts once again.

Desire Fourie said...

Gorgeous creations Helen. You definitely have established your own creative style. I always say its fantastic when one can reconise a talented scrappers layouts amongst hundreds of others, just because she is true to her own unique style. Hugs from Desire

Mette Thomas said...

What a seriously gorggepous photo of you and Cami, the layout is great too love the colours not colours i would normally use but they are stunning really lovley L/O