Thursday 15 January 2009

Oh to be Young again...or not!


A new little quirk regarding my blog is it insists on underlining everything...very strange!

Still...not one to be put off easily I soldier on nonetheless! I received this via e mail & have adapted it to suit my needs. Think it is very profound & something that I totally relate to - how about you?


I would never trade my wonderful life or loving family for less wrinkles or a flatter belly. As I've aged I've become kinder to myself and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I don't chastise myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avant garde on my patio. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant.


I have seen too many people leave this world too soon before they understood the freedom that comes with ageing. Whose business is it if I choose to read or stay on the computer until 4 AM and sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to my favourite 80,s music & walk on the beach in a swim suit stretched over a bulging body & dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set. They too will age...


I know I am sometimes forgetful but some of life is just as well forgotten! Over the years my heart has been broken. How could it not when you lose a loved one or one of your children suffers?
Broken hearts are what give us strength, understanding & compassion. A heart never broken is pristine & sterile & will never know the joy of being imperfect. I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my youthful laughs forever etched on face. As you get older it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.


Ageing has set me free. I like the person I have become. While I am still on this earth I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. I will simply take life in my hands & squeeze out everything it has to offer.


No comments: