Thursday 12 February 2015

''Riding the Wave Together" Layout for 7 Dots
Studio using Destination Unknown Collection
Plus a little chat about Mixed Media Prodocts
& what to choose!







Today I have a tutorial up on the 7 Dots Studio blog HERE.
It is using the new Destination Unknown Collection you can view HERE.


Tomorrow I will share the tutorial here on my blog too.
I did quite a few interesting things with the papers, fussy-cutting
them, punching them & tearing them, as well as giving
 them a number of mixed media treatments too.


As well as the fabulous 7 Dots Studio products I also enjoyed playing with my 
Faber Castell gelatos & Pitt Pens too.  When I first ordered the gelatos 
I didn't really know what the fuss was about. 

 They are not sold in stores here & there are no demos or make & takes anywhere
 to familiarise crafters with the latest products, but boy are they indispensable. 


Photo from Stampington.com
I have never purchased gelatos like this in a big set because honestly I don't need every shade under the sun & there are smaller sets of 4 they sell - now in a CLEAR BARREL - they look so classy!  I can't wait to get their new colours - they are awesome!!


 I thoroughly recommend gelatos to every mixed media crafter as I have seen that they
 have so many benefits, not least of which is how small they are, so they do not take 
up a lot of space, and they are like washi-tape, I am yet to finish a tube, they go on
 forever!  When everyone complains about the price of mixed media products
 this is something that is never mentioned.  Mediums last for a very long time!!


Background stamps are another thing I find you can't go wrong with.  
I have even become less bothered about cleaning mine pedantically. 
 A lot of them don't clean up well no matter what products you use & really 
there is no point keeping them all clear & pristine because as long as they are 
washed gently after each use that is good enough, they take on the colour 
of whatever ink you are using even if they are stained with another colour.

This is the clear stamp set from 7 Dots Studio for the 
Destination Unknown Collection. Sure is classy!!


Pitt Pens {the Big Brush ones} by Faber Castell are another great buy. 
 I only have a few of them but am planning to slowly expand my colour
 range by ordering a couple with each overseas order I place.  What I have
 learnt is that there is no substitute for great, well-known brands of artists 
materials.  I have always regretted going cheap.  

Rather own a few good products than a heap of cheap & nasty ones...

 

Image from the DesignMemoryCraft website.
These Pitt Big Brush Pens have many qualities far superior to simply giant markers! 
 They have a really fine, brush-like tip & you can even use these pens for colouring
 your stamps!!  This is a big plus for me as I don't have an endless supply
 of archival ink pads.  


Let me know if you found this information useful!
It's a minefield out there when it comes to mixed media products!!
There are so many brands out there & some are great & others not so much. 

 Personally I stick to Faber Castell, Prima {great new Finnabair products}, 
LOVE Golden & of course Ranger is a must-have too!!  
13arts from Poland is making big waves in the Mixed Media world too.

What is just as vital as what you choose to put onto your paper IS YOUR PAPER!
7 Dots Studio produces patterned paper especially designed to withhold a normal
amount of mixed media product.  Some papers are just too thin & buckle easily.  



9 comments:

dstandard said...

Fabulous page and I love my gelatos too - need to expand the colors I have though. Fabulous work.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

These are gorgeous! LOVING the colors and all the circles!!!!!

Lynette Jacobs said...

Helen, this is a beautiful page...so unique. Did you use a stencil for the dots? Thank you for the advise...I still struggle with the mixed media.

Lizzy Hill said...

Preaching to the converted here! I'm looking forward to seeing your tutorial. This page is stunning....love the circle elements:):)

Kathy G. said...

Helen this layout looks fantastic. I do have gelatos but haven't yet tried the PITT Pens. Thanks for your advice. I totally agree that cheaper is not better. Heading over to the 7Dots blog to see your tutorial.

Val-Belle said...

LOve the layout and that tag is just stunning. I love my gelatos too but don't use them enough. I am also getting the big pens.. also only got a few.. .dam there is so much cool stuff out there and I want it all and I know I don't need it ... it just looks so cool :D

Denise van Deventer said...

A gorgeous layout and a beautiful tag too! ;-)

Di Garling said...

Super duper male creation Helen. Looooooove it.

Margaret Mifsud said...

What a fabulous post Helen!! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on the mm products ...always great to know what others think of these if you haven't used them before. Not sure about the gelatos but I would love to have some of those Pitt Pens. Love this page too .. absolutely gorgeous and going to check out the tute right now!! ox