Friday 26 July 2013

How to Create with a Sketch yet Remain True to your Style {My Creative Scrapbook Tutorial - July 2013}


Hi :)  
Gosh this week has run away with me
 {or more like WITHOUT me LOL}
- I am up to ALL SORTS of scrappy things
right now & have a lot to share for future posts...

For now here's my tutorial for My Creative Scrapbook this month.

Hi everyone!  Helen here today to show you how to work with sketches without compromising your true style.  Ever looked at a sketch & thought – “oh no! – That’s just not “me”?”  Don’t worry, it’s happened to us all.  Rather than give it a miss give it a go instead – only modify it to suit your own individual style.


Take a look at this sketch here, from My Creative Sketches
(our July sketch) currently open for participation right now!

It’s a beautiful sketch (of course!!) but when I looked at it I thought “Hmmm…how should I approach this?" - seeing as I don’t do a lot of paper layering using big squares of paper
(it simply isn’t my style).

So I decided to expand the area around my photo using a Prima mask with some embossing paste followed by gelatos instead of papers. Thus staying true to my artistic approach.

Gelatos are a fabulous new mixed media product from Faber-Castell & are like creamy lipsticks.  I applied mine with a sponge.


I love using packaging & often incorporate it into my layouts so I added some Prima packaging on top of my gelatos & masking, then tucked in some Webster’s Pages packets (cut even smaller)
to form the base of my layout.

(Note how the shape I created mimics
 the sketch but with smaller dimensions.)


Once I had toned down my gelato work with a sponge dipped in 
water I started layering up my embellishments, using Basic Grey 
printed chipboard from the July 2013 Limited Edition Kit.

I laid down a sticker to form the base of my title
 - which you can see I moved from the top
 (according to the sketch) 
to the bottom of the layout (to suit my page).

 Don’t be scared to change some aspects of the sketch to suit you.

(If you are participating in a sketch challenge you must
 be able to “see” that you started with the sketch but not 
every aspect of it needs to remain in exactly the same 
place or have exactly the same proportions).


Next I added my title work & some finer details
 such as the confetti dots (using full-stops from the 
alphabet set) & some cheesecloth (which always 
works well with beach-themed layouts).


Lastly I added some more embellishments
 (printed chipboard) & some floral vines 
(to mimic the main embellishment area on the sketch).


I added my journalling & called my page done!
Can you see the sketch in my page? 
I think so!  Yet I’m happy that I didn’t have 
to compromise my true style to achieve it.


I hope this has helped someone out there today.

If you struggle to interpret sketches into pages 
you like then don't despair - it can be done!


25 comments:

Helen Wallace said...

A beautiful layout and I love your adaptation of the sketch to stay faithfull to your style :)

yyam said...

Nicely done with those Gelatos! Great seeing how you "approach" a sketch. For me, I just "remove" layers I don't want...simplify the sketch...lol

Cassandra aka Scrap Savvy said...

Great tutorial Helen! Really love your take on that sketch and great use of kit product!:)

Jasmine S said...

Fabulous Helen. Great insight into how you go about creating from a sketch....love your style.

Unknown said...

I always try to keep very true to the sketch and sometimes compromise the quality in doing so. Next time I'll try your technique. Thanks.

Sandie said...

Love your layout and tutorial Helen, it is really wonderful seeing how you create.

Tracee said...

Gorgeous page Helen, love how you created the background with the gelato's! Tx

Elaine coustley said...

Fabulous layout, I like the way you've gone with the gelato colours on the background. Loved the tutorial .x

Denise van Deventer said...

Very cool page and love how you interpreted the sketch and still made it your own, with your styling! Great job! ;-)

Val-Belle said...

GREAT tutorial Helen and I love the step by step. Really helpful to those who struggle.... Love the layout and your process. Thank you for sharing.

Lisa Minckler said...

Wow...that was the bomb! I am learning so much about these gelatos lately and I'm loving it! Thank you so much for the wonderful tutorial and staying true to our style. :)

Sue Lelli said...

LOVE this LO, Helen, and how you used the gelatos for your BG and then had so many FAB layers!

Giorgia Rossini said...

Thank youfor your help Helen, that kind of sketches are difficult for me too, and I try to put gesso on the background as a substitute for that one big paper layer :)
I'm doing this challenge right now :)

brigitte said...

love the layout!

Elena Olinevich said...

Thanks for sharing. I love the Gelatos too, and even with these papers ( not mixed media style0 it looks fabulous

Carin McDonough said...

Fantastic tips Helen and I can still see the sketch in your layout :) I have seen loads of layouts from sketches where I can't see the sketch at all but then I suppose it is always up to your own interpretation and unless it is for a challenge where the sketch has to be recognizable then as long as it is inspiring you that is all that matters :)

Mitralee said...

ohhh! the cheese cloth made me HAPPY! and the flowers and the yellow! So lovely to make that sketch YOURS! ;-)

juscrap said...

Hello friend! His page was adorable! It's so lively and colorful.Great job! :)

Lizzy Hill said...

Gorgeous page...loved seeing the step by steps & I really like how you approach the idea of a sketch...thank you for sharing!!! ...& applying Gelatos with a sponge..good one):):)

ALINE said...

Wonderful! I loved

Kerryn said...

I go eek! at sketches ALOT. LOL. LOVE how you interpreted this one Helen. Lots of fabulous tips too :).

Desire Fourie said...

Helen this is a wonderful creative take on the sketch. Thanks for putting us at ease interpreting sketches.
Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wow wow wowwwwwwwwww! This is gorgeous!! I love love love the yellow, the flowers and loving the photos!!

Leonie said...

Fantastic Helen! Some great tips, so I take it you're enjoying your Gelatos? :)

Lynette Jacobs said...

Awesome tutorial. I don't really know whether I even have a distinct style.