Saturday 25 May 2013

'Friend' Card - My Creative Scrapbook - Prima Lyric




This weekend I'm showing a couple of the  cards I created for My Creative Scrapbook this month, using their Limited Edition Kit.  


I'm slowly gaining more confidence with cards as I am doing a few every month now. I found some Docraft 'blanks'recently & bought a pack of 50 rectangular & 50 square cards. A great timesaver & preserves my precious white cardstock that is the most difficult colour to find locally & my favourite colour for layouts.  I recommend them as they were great value for money, even in South Africa where crafty stuff usually costs about 3 times the US price.







Apart from the supplies from my kit I added some fibre strands & an old metal bobbin that doesn't fit my current sewing machine.  

My tips for good-looking cards:-

1.  Start with a white base (no fail good looks)
2.  Ink up the edges in a mild colour
3.  Fussy-cut any off-cut pieces you have
(here I fussy cut the 'Friend'sentiment)

Fussy-cutting is worth it - if you have a pair of Tim Holtz Tonic scissors it's relatively quick.

4.  Add threads or fibres between layers as a low bulk way of adding texture.

5.  Use foam tape to lift some of your layers slightly. 

 To save money I also use the lightweight 'core' board that comes within the packaging of things like perfume, beauty creams, etc.  This works perfectly as an alternative to expensive foam tape when combined with a good adhesive.

Hope you find some of my tips handy!

Happy Saturday!!



22 comments:

Lynn said...

Your card is lovely Helen. Thanks for the great tips!

Svjetlana said...

Beautiful card, thanks for the tips!

Lizzy Hill said...

I really like the packaging for dimension idea...I'd never have thought of that. And I really, really love your card...the colours are lovely....the bobbin is clever & it's a nice sentiment:):):)

Annesphamily said...

I love your pretty treasures here! I really need to get back into the scraping! MY oldest daughter lives two doors away and she houses all of our treasures! Have a great weekend!

Sandi Smith said...

So beautiful Helen...you do an awesome job with cards!!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwwwwwww! This is gorgeous! LOVING that music paper and the lace!!

sandi said...

Oh Helen, this is simply GORGEOUS, I mean gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

juscrap said...

Hi Helen! This card is gorgeous!!! xoxo

Rachael Funnell said...

GORGEOUS Card Helen....

Tracee said...

So pretty! Tx

Keren Tamir said...

Beautiful card Helen!!!

Lynnda said...

You made beautiful cards too!!! This one especially... love it... hugs...x

Mona Pendleton said...

So pretty Helen!

Jean Bullock said...

So beautiful! I love that music paper! The embellishments look great against it.

Kerryn said...

Beautiful card Helen :).

Sandie said...

Ohhh larrhh larrhhhh so pretty Helen and I love your Paris 'look'....

yyam said...

Well, I think you are a natural with cards. Beautiful textures and layers. :)

Val-Belle said...

Gorgeous card Helen. I actually started off card making but with stamping and I hardly ever make cards anymore but this one is so pretty I am tempted to make some just to keep on hand. I love the tips they are very valid. :D

Lynette Jacobs said...

Gorgeous card and great tips.

ANUPAMA CHOUDARY said...

Can't find any blanks here :( Sometimes I use thick double-sided patterned paper instead of cardstock.
Thanks for the tips, Helen! Lovely card.

Marjie Kemper said...

Beautiful! Loving these and the one at the top of the blog. You make such beautiful projects using the smallest parts of kits.

Eila Sandberg said...

You always have such sensible tips on easy-accessible products to save on time and bucks. Thanks a bunch Helen! Love all of the cards I've seen so far. That tour d'Eiffel must be a souvenir from la belle ville itself ;) xoxo