Tuesday 26 March 2013

Masculine Layout Masking Tutorial - My Creative Scrapbook March 2013 Main Kit Tutorial





Hi girls!  I'm having a shocking time of it here internet wise.  Our data provider has a serious cable fault & on top of it all our ADSL line is out of order.  Thankfully I have managed to borrow a 3G card for the evening but it is about to get collected so that's me offline again for who knows how long - so far it's been 5 days - sounds like a serious situation to me.  

This is the correspondence we received.  Living at the base of Africa is frustrating!!  Our internet has to come from thousands of miles away {as there is hardly any internet action in the rest of Afica above us...) so is very expensive & often unreliable.  

The Seacom cable, which provides a significant portion of our international capacity, has been damaged off the coast of Egypt in the Mediterranean Sea. Early indications are that it may take up to two weeks to repair the break and restore full capacity. We also have capacity on the WACS cable, which runs up the west coast of Africa, and this is currently able to meet about 45% of our total needs. As a result, most international services will be degraded. We are in ongoing discussions with various operators to secure additional capacity to meet our total requirements until such time as the Seacom cable is fully operational again.

Here is the tutorial I prepared for the My Creative Scrapbook blog this month:-

♥♥♥♥♥
I hear so many people say they struggle to create manly layouts so let me show you how easy it is, even from a kit that looks really pretty!

1.    Remember to always keep aside a neutral patterned paper like this one so you can create at least one masculine page per kit.


2.    Print out some photos to match.  Desaturate them so that you can create a more neutral boyish colour palette.


3.    Make use of the elements provided in the kit, that are not especially feminine, like the mask for example.


4.    To make use of a 6” mask on a 12” layout you need to ensure that you mask off the edges of the stencil using so place your mask on a piece of 12” white paper (I use the album inserts that come with my page protectors).  Place your mask in your chosen position.


5.    I chose to centre my mask.  Use a ruler & set square, together with your gridded out working mat, to ensure that you position it correctly.  Secure with masking tape.


6.    Now LIGHTLY score around the edges of your mask with your cutting knife but do NOT cut deeply or you will damage your mask.  Now pull & carefully tear away the paper to reveal your mask again.


7.   This is the area where your mists will not penetrate & the rest of your page will be protected.  Voila!  Using a lightbox makes this step easier or just put your page up against a window like I did!


 8.   Now place your the new 12” mask you have just made OVER your printed paper & mist.  I used the Maya Road Charcoal mist provided in one of my My Creative Scrapbook Kits last year.


9.   And there you have it!  Your masked area is complete!  Now all that you have left is to add your photograph & embellish away!!


10.               Using your dymo for journaling always adds a heavier, more masculine touch.  I still used the glitter thickers though & I think they look great!  All the beige papers you see are cut from the PRIMA PACKAGING (from the flowers) so don’t forget to save that!  Staples & string are inexpensive masculine elements you can also add.

I hope you enjoyed my tutorial!
For many more examples of masculine layouts please visit my blog at http://helentilbury.blogspot.com

Thanks for the visit!!  I have so much to share before the end of the month I don't know how I'm going to fit it all in!  Thank Goodness for kind friends & 3G card loans ♥♥♥


17 comments:

Keren Tamir said...

Sorry to hear about your Internet that sucks majorly!! I would be so frustrated!!
I'm so behind in commenting trying to catch up!! Love this idea TFS

Lizzy Hill said...

This is an Ab Fab tut...really great, Helen...& I'm with Keren. I'd be ripping my hair out...obviously this one is completely outta your hands. Thinking of you...& happy Easter for when you can get this message. Enjoy a few days off. Hope you get some scrapping done & have a great family time:):):)

FiKenward said...

Wow Helen that is a lot of detailed cutting and I thought I was extreme with my cutting of scrappy items, lol. Anyway I love the effect it achieved its such a gorgeous layout and love those photos. I need to tie my son down to get photos your boys seem to love the camera. Hope your Internet is up running sooner than later you don't realise how much you use something until its taken away from you and it's not something any of us can help you out with, I would be climbing the walls. Take care and have a great Easter.

FiKenward said...

Wow Helen that is a lot of detailed cutting and I thought I was extreme with my cutting of scrappy items, lol. Anyway I love the effect it achieved its such a gorgeous layout and love those photos. I need to tie my son down to get photos your boys seem to love the camera. Hope your Internet is up running sooner than later you don't realise how much you use something until its taken away from you and it's not something any of us can help you out with, I would be climbing the walls. Take care and have a great Easter.

Nataliya Levina (Nata_Lu) said...

cool!
Thanks of details!

Unknown said...

I hope your connection is fixed soon. You dont know what you have until its gone when it comes to the net. I love your strong LO. Going to PIN it.

Leonie said...

What a great page Helen and super idea with the mask.
Oh Man your internet problems must be so frustrating!!! What must businesses do with little or no internet. It must be causing so many problems!

juscrap said...

I hope your connection is fixed soon.Your page is soo beautiful, i love this details and those mask too. xx

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Bummer about the internet! I love love love love how you put this lo together!!

Desire Fourie said...

Stunning Helen and so creative as usual. Love the tutorial and handy tips. Holding thumbs for wonderful connectivity.
Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

yyam said...

Sorry to hear about your connectivity woes! Hope it gets resolved soon!

Sandie said...

Ohhh I really like this, I like a lot.... must try it. Love, love, love it!!

Lynette Jacobs said...

Stunning tutorial. Thank you for showing us how to make a mask and not get your whole page messed up. Gorgeous masculine page.

Sophia said...

Great tip on the tutorial and love the LO...

Marjie Kemper said...

Super tute and great page! Hope your internet issues are resolved soon.... what a pain!

Mitralee said...

Goodness gracious on the internet! That is CRAZY! Had to read it to hubby and we felt bad for you. We do enjoy our internet....

I love your tutorial! Puts me in the mood for some misting. I have to make a page about grilling which somehow should be masculine! ;-)

Eila Sandberg said...

Oh man I'd go bonkers without internet! such a great tut, thanks a bunch sweetie! Masculine pages and you go hand in hand, as do feminine romantic ones. You're simply incredibly versatile! xoxoxo