Friday 2 November 2012

Want the links in your sidebar to open in a new window? Yes you do!




Well I've finally worked out how to do this thanks to THIS
and it is really easy!  What am I talking about?!  Something
you really need to understand.  Think about it - we have all
sorts of links in our sidebars and when people click on them
they go OFF OUR BLOG and onto another one.

 Maybe they just want to check something out but weren't
finished - well now they are gone!  Wouldn't it be great if
 there was a way they could check out any of your links but
 still stay on your blog?  That's what I've been thinking for
ages now so today I decided I would work out how to do it!

Go to the link I just gave you above - to where it says 'Open
all External Links in New Windows' then follow the instructions
and copy and paste the HTML code after the HEAD tag.  It's
a bit scary as you have to go into 'Layout' from your dashboard
 & edit your HTML (the first time I've ever done this) so make
 sure you first make a copy of your template at the top right 
where it says 'Back Up'' so if you mess things up you can
 always just clear your entire template then copy & paste
 your entire original template back in.


I am so glad I've finally worked this out!!  It was really simple
& now all my sidebar tabs open up as separate windows which
I think is really cool!  Let me know if you do it too!!
Happy Weekend!



8 comments:

sandi said...

This is really neat that you were able to do this Helen. TFS this info!!!!!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

YOU ROCK!!!! I will be doing that this weekend!!!!

Evgenia Petzer said...

thank you, Helen! will def do it)

gracescraps@gmail.com said...

What a great tip, Helen!! Your link and directions were easy to follow. I now have mine set up that way too. I have gone into my html to change things since I designed my own blog. It is a bit scary, but I always copy and save my code before starting - just in case! Thanks again!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

Heather McMahon said...

Helen thanks so much for all your tutorials. It's so good to see someone giving their time and knowledge freely! Much appreciated.

Lynnda said...

You rock!!! will do this tonight!!!hugs...xoxo

Lynette Jacobs said...

I love how freely you share all these little tips and tricks with us.
xx

Juliana Michaels 17turtles said...

Thanks for sharing this Helen!