Sunday 10 April 2011

Toot!!! Durban in the Summertime {Bird is the Word FOREVER Challenge}


So I made it onto another design team - what can I say - 4 in a month?!?  Definitely not my norm :)  But, hey, who am I to complain?  I used to be a bit like the guy in the joke, complaining to God that he never won the Lottery, until eventually God said "meet me half way & buy a ticket will ya?"  Well, this year I decided to be more pro-active & actually apply, and, whatdya know, I was accepted!  Yay :)  It makes me happy to know that more people will be visiting me here & I will be "getting out & about" more 'cos it can get pretty lonely in my studio, all by my lonely...


 I will be designing 2 layouts a month for BIRD IS THE WORD word challenge blog.  Once a fortnight me & the rest of the awesome design team will be presenting you with our own interpretations of the current challenge.  I have posted the rules below for your interest.  I hope that you will join us as it's a simple thing to use one particular WORD in a title & easy to combine the challenge with a sketch & colour challenge too.




So I decided to combine mine with the colour combo at COLOUR COMBOS GALORE, another rocking site!  I was a tad nervous when I saw this scheme as I prefer neutral, chalky, pastel schemes & have been revelling in shabby chic these days.  Anyhow, I am ALWAYS UP FOR A CHALLENGE :) so I hunted through my jpegs & printed this one out nice & big!  I {heart} big single photos on a page - despite the fact that I am very away that they are not "de rigeur" at the moment. 


 Because I don't like the look of too much harsh bright colour I started with a white base.  {You wouldn't believe it when you see the end result!}





I cut a 1cm border of yellow cardstock.  This is easily done with no measuring, using a trimmer that is NOT A ROTARY TRIMMER which is why I will never own a rotary trimmer!  No thank you!!  I enjoy cutting frames & borders too much!!!


I used a Pencil Lines sketch that I found over at the Paper Secrets blog {due in end of the month so feel free to swipe it if you like} but to be in to win there your layout needs to have a celebratory/birthday theme & I, ummm, kinda forgot about that part :)

After adhering the blue strip & the yellow punched strips I decided to spritz with green BECAUSE the "designer's challenge" {twist} at CCG this week is to use "wet' mediums - ie:- paint or mists.

After misting its always a good idea to add a border to the edge of your layout (or to adhere the whole page to another piece of cardstock) to stabilise it, as the edges of the paper tend to curl up once wet.  You can see in the photograph below that the layout is now sitting flatter.
Ever one to combine challenges I am entering this at Studio Calico in the challenge below (hey, when the "latest" products you can buy here are from CHA's several years ago the chance of winning a $5 gift card is VERY appealling...)



 I am also submitting this layout over at The Studio Challenges as it also meets the requirements to design a layout about a place that is significant to you - well Durban in the Summer is a very definitive memory for me - I have a love/hate relationship with it.  Great for beach & pool days but absolutely terrible to try to do any work in - the humidity is very oppresive, but strangely, you learn to cope with it & actually embrace the warm sea air :) 

So here it is.  One layout, FIVE challenges {okay, we can't really include the sketch seeing I didn't stick with the party/celebratory theme} but I still think that FOUR CHALLENGES in one layout is a record for me!!
This layout was pretty simple really, stick down the pp's, mist, adhere the border, add the titling then embellish.


Apart from stickers the only embellishment I have used is a teeny bit of bling.  I customised the CLOUD sticker by cutting it into 3 as that one giagantic cloud was a bit overpowering for me LOL. 
I always try to date my layouts, even if the layout may look more "slick" without it.  It's important to remember 'when'.

Supplies:-

Cardstock - white/yellow - Bazzill Basics
Printed paper - Basic Grey Hopscotch - Passing Notes & Sassafras - Count Me In {plus my pals}
Ink - red - Colourbox
Mists - Tattered Angels - Key Lime & Meadow Green
Alphas - Sassafras (large) Glitz Designs (small) Webster's Pages (medium).
Bling - My Mind's Eye
Stickers - Sweet Summertime by Echo Park

16 comments:

Alison said...

Congrats AGAIN helen..and that is one fab Lo!
Alison xx

Jessy Christopher said...

Woo Hoo! Congrats again on ur new DT stint!! 4 in a month is a celebration!! Hehe. You are getting so well & I know more will enjoy ur creative work! That layout is beautiful. Love to see u in a layout. What a gorgeous family pic!

Diana said...

I love the LO. The colours aren't your usual, 'tis true, but you rocked it. And the photo is so nice. You look so happy in it.
And congrats on the design team gig! You go girl!

Rene Sharp said...

Wow, 4 teams in a month must be some kind of record!! Well done Helen. This is a gorgeous page, love the large sized photo. Must say I don't miss living on the coast at all, I could not cope with that heat!!

Leanne J said...

well WOOHOO.. this is awesome Helen.. thanks for visitin my blog and yay for you awesome comments... and woot woot..we are on the same team..yay..

i love this... i love the colour and that huge photo is superb...

happy days.
{ps... i love your bio .. about the mud hut etc..lol..too funny.}

Unknown said...

glad you have joined our DT..loved your first creation layout

Eila Sandberg said...

YAY! 4 in a month is a darn good return of investment on one tiny ticket *giggle*. No seriously Helen, you are just fantastic and I LOOOOOVE reading your blog and all the details about how you make each page. That BIG family photo is just fab! totally dig how wet it is and still not a brollie in sight yay! not to mention what a clever gal you are combining and incorporating all those challenges so incredibly smoothly in this one layout! mwah mwah mwah! xxooo

Stefanie said...

Well done!
I will have to go and check that one out.
I'd say that the LO IS about celebrating Durban in the summer.
Rather you than me I say.
I don't even enjoy Durban in Autumn and Spring.
Winter is really awesome though.
LOL.

Yolande (pronounced you-land-a) said...

Whoop Whoop! Congrads Helen..this is awesome news. It comes as no surprise as you are super talented and deserve to share your creativity with the world. Enjoy every minute of it! :)

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

OH wow, congrats once again, that means we will see MORE of your beautiful work right?

FiKenward said...

Wow you are going to be super busy....Congratulations on so many achievements and awesome job on integrating 5 of the challenges in one page.

Unknown said...

Congrats You go girl!..You are one busy lady...beautiful work..:)

Lou said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS LO Helen and Congratulations!!!! you are on a roll!!!! :) So fantastic to be alongside you too... and have the chance to get to know you better too!
Hope you are having a great week!!:)
Love Lou xx

Jolanda said...

Hi Helen,sham on me,i wasn´t a follower!!
Now i am,you´re always welcome on my blog!
I love your work,always so beautiful and creative!
Have a very nice day!
xx

Lynette Jacobs said...

You are really rocking the DT applications....well done Helen. This layout is another stunner.

Shayne said...

Wow 5 in 1!

Well done.

Love this. Love the paper especially, and how you've built your page. Really looks great and so nice to see you in one of your LO's!