Sunday 24 April 2011

Our Golden Girl {Creative Scrappers Sketch 152/The Colour Room Pallette 54}

I really like Creative Scrappers.  Before now I haven't played along there that much but I'm noticing that I'm going for their sketches more & more.  I'm fussy about my sketches - I don't like just following any old sketch - I like them simple so that my layout can take on it's own personality as there is plenty of room for interpretation.  You all know that I am also a fan of bigger photographs so these sketches are perfect for me!

I like to combine a sketch with a colour challenge - makes sense to kill 2 birds with one stone - entering two challenges with one layout - so I used this sketch for my entry for The Colour Room this week!  Worked out well for me as I was featured!!  I was very surprised as my style doesn't seem to really suit TCR - most of the layouts they feature are very artistic with a lot of mixed media play & small photographs, which I don't work with that much.  But of course I was delighted as colour challenges are my fave & I enjoy playing there.


So I've just received my box full of CHA goodies at last, including Crate Paper's Emma's Shoppe.  It was love at first sight for me with this line & I had to have it all.  I knew it would make for the cutest layouts of my little girl & none of it would go to waste & sure enough so far I have been right!
I didn't actually think I was going to have the time to play last week actually so only got to starting this layout on Thursday evening & having to photograph it at night (so the photo you see here on my blog is actually much nicer than the one above as I rephotographed it in the day) .  There is NO substitute for natural light even though I have a really cool system for photographing at night using 2 lamps that shine directly onto my layout, which I attach to a solid white background - it works & it'll do but it's not the best.



I started with white cardstock & misted it yellow.  If you look closely you'll be able to see that.  Then I attached the background check after roughing up the edges with my Making Memories distressing tool & inking them in orange.  I also tore the edge in a few places & bent it back then adhered it like that to show a hint of the gorgeous floral print underneath.



I actually added the black "faux" stitching at the very end - just because I thought my layout could do with some definition & "finishin-off".  I added quite a few strips in the centre of the layout because there were so many nice ones to choose from on one of the pp sheets & because I also bought the border strips!




For my main panel I used the left-hand side for my title area & layered it up using the CP chipboard embellishments & a journal spot I cut from one of the pp sheets.  The resin flowers used are Maya Road & the gingham ribbon is American Crafts Peachy Keen, the alphas are Sassafrass Lass - I just added the stitching lines using a journaling pen - everything else is Crate Paper, except of course the mist & cardstock. 



My very last touches were the hand-journaling - always a hectic moment for me because sometimes hand-journaling can unfortunately ruin the look of a layout & has to be covered up - thank Goodness this time it worked out fine - I always take a deep breath & hardly breathe while I am doing it to get the best look!  I also inked the outer edge of my layout heavily in black ink to tie in with the journaling & stitching.




At the side of the photo I used the beautiful pink broderie anglaise that came with the CP ES trims but pleated it up for sheer decadence - this can be easily done with only double-sided tape & no stitching or measurements needed - just use the edge of your working mat with the grid measurements - I used 1cm.



I tried to imitate the look of the sewing-machine going backwards & forwards here - that messy stitching look that is so popular on layouts & looks so cool - mainly because I've lost my bobbin box right now & my machine is threaded with red LOL...gotta find that soon 'cos red is rather limiting hee hee...




So that's it.  It took me 2 hours - which is about average for me.  If it's any quicker I can't add all the little details that I like & for anything fancier, fussy-cutting, etc it always takes me quite a bit longer to do.  I took that photo on the day I scrapped it!  It was my test shot before I started photographing Lloyd & wasn't the best but Cami's hair shone so nicely due to the metal door that was reflecting the light so beautifully that I just had to keep it.





Supplies:-


Cardstock - Bazzill pink & mauve
Printed papers - Crate Paper Emma's Shoppe Fabrics (yellow check) & Sweets (orange diamond design) & Books (Strips)
Yellow mist - Tattered Angels Lemon Zest
Black ink - Doodlebug
Orange ink - Colourbox
Black journaling pen - American Crafts Slick Writer - Fine
Strips - Crate Paper Emma's Shoppe Border Stickers
Ribbon - American Crafts Peachy Keen (gingham)
Stickers - Crate Paper Emma's Shoppe "Phrases"
Broderie anglaise lace - Crate Paper Emma's Shoppe trims
Journaling card - Crate Paper Emma's Shoppe - Accent Cuts
Chipboard pieces - Crate Paper Emma's Shoppe Chipboard stickers
Maya Road resin roses
Alpha stickers - Sassafras Lass Yellow Paper








26 comments:

Nadia Cannizzo said...

WOW Helen! This is such a fantastic layout and CONGRATS on the feature..Simply stunning! Glad you finally got your order,,wow! That took a while hey?

dstandard said...

Gorgeous page -love the sketch too. Your details are awesome!

Alia said...

Love the ruffles! Pretty page all around!

Mel said...

Oh this is gorgeous Helen, I love the faux stitching, the dark inked perimeter and well everything is gorgeous. Melx

Cathy said...

WOO HOO Helen congrats on the feature.. such a gorgeous LO, LOVE IT!! Hope you're having a wonderful Easter break :)

Jasmine S said...

Yes, it was certainly your week at TCR and CCG.
Congrats and so so well deserved.

Diana said...

This is one of my favourite of your LOs ever. It is just gorgeous. Super sweet photo and the colours and everything are just lovely. I can't believe you hand "stitched" that all the way around! I just did a LO using the gorgeous floral on the other side of that yellow and white gingham/plaid. I hope you have another sheet of it!
I can't believe that with all the DTs you're on you still do challenges and sketches elsewhere!

Rene Sharp said...

Well done on being featured!! My style is definitely not suited to TCR but I also try to play sometimes. I really LOVE this page, your attention to detail is just awesome. Hope you are having a wonderful Easter weekend. My Mom has been here and it has been just lovely!! She leaves this morning to spend the day with my sister in Kloof.

topkatnz said...

Love that sketch:)

Marelize said...

Congrats on the feature Helen! Love this layout. Just stunning!! :)

Lisa Amiet said...

WOO HOO!!! This is fabulous!! Love the yellow and your daughter is so pretty too xoxo

Stefanie said...

It is really gorgeous, I love the well worn look with the faux stitching.

Bernadine said...

Absolutely gorgeous layout. Which website are you using to buy your stuff from overseas now? Cami is a gorgeous looking girl. Shane is going to have to get his shot gun out soon. :)

Rossella said...

Simply fantastic! All the details, the colours...fantastic!

Alison said...

Love this LO helen...the colours work so well together!
Alison xx

Lynette Jacobs said...

Simply gorgeous...congratulations on being featured...you are rocking the colour challenges.

Unknown said...

Love all your pages! Just gorgeous! Congrats on the feature!

Unknown said...

hey friend what very gorgeous page and so beautiful colors.
I hoop you have a wonderful easter!!!

big hugs carla

Marilyn said...

Wow, Helen, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Weepetee!!!Beautiful page and photo!!!! and lovely details....I hope you had a great Easter day, we had a relax day here in family!!! well, Dear, Take Care....HUGS!!!

Pearl said...

She is truly a golden girl ! SHe just glows in this pic ! Congrats on being featured at TCR !!! woo to the hoo !

Kim said...

this is just beautiful, I love all the different embellies and papers you have used and what a stunning photo too!

Irini said...

Goregoeus layout Helen!!!
I love your attention to detail it definitely make a difference...beautiful work!!
BTW your daughter is stunning!!

scrapbookertink said...

Congrats on the feature, gorgeous layout, what a stunning daughter you have, love the use of the black faux stitching it just seems to lift everything off the page, thanks for visiting my little piece of cyber space LOL, take care and have a creative week.

Vicky Varvadouka said...

OMG!!!! I LOVE everything about it! The colors,the journaling, the stripes, the layering and that photo of your daughter is beautiful!!!

Vicky Varvadouka said...

OMG!!!! I LOVE everything about it! The colors,the journaling, the stripes, the layering and that photo of your daughter is beautiful!!!

jax said...

All things bright and beautiful - both Cam and your layout, x