Thursday 14 April 2011

My Wish for You...Peace, Love & Beautiful Shoes! {Sketchy Thursdays}

***Includes mini paint-flicking & stitching tutorial***

Here they are!  All the close-ups & deets on my layout from my last post, that gorgeous inspiration photograph again & how I went about attempting to recreate it, wth my own twist of course :)


Wow, with so much going on I could see that I needed to start with a plain background, so black was the obvious choice, given that I knew the paint colours would POP against it so well.  I found the perfect Sketchy Thursdays sketch to use too - complete with paint-splatters - so that was a bonus!

I needed a border so I found a nice plum pink, cut my black cardstock down a bit so the border would show then inked the edges in gold & flicked on some nice bright paints & sprayed on some mists.  Unfortunately, against the black, the mists are all but lost in the photographs but they do sparkle IRL promise :)

This time I didn't water down my paints because I wanted them nice & thick & I was on my way out...so I knew that if I flicked them all on quickly when I returned they would be nice & dry & shiny...and sure enough they were!  To get this effect simply dip the WRONG END of your paint brush into your paint then use your scissors to HIT your paintbrush higher up - to cause the paint to fly off!  I always spread a big shopping bag under & behind my layout (plastic bag) to catch any "over-spill".


I wanted my photos a bit more dramatic for this layout so I increased the shadows & highlights manually to create more drama & played around with the saturation levels.  Then I looked for some printed paper & found this, which I thought was perfect as it had a grungy cream background like the model's coat but also some nice colourful bits too, like the rest of the inspiration photo.
Here you can see how I cut it to create something unusual.  I then added some dots of distress ink that took FOREVER to dry (unfortunately I couldn't wait for them to dry as I seriously "didn't have all night" so I used my embossing heat tool, which worked to an extent, but in the end I just had to try to handle the paper with wet dots & they got a bit messed up, but, saying that, I don't think that detracted from the over-all look of the layout at all in any case :)

Below you can see the exact mists & paints I've used.  While I love the look of the Making Memories bottles, I've found the paint is JUST THE SAME as anything available locally (although they do look quite stunning all lined up like soldiers reporting for duty on my desk LOL).
For the mists I used 3 Manufacturers - Tattered Angels, Maya Road & Ranger.  I haven't found any major differences between the brands except that I'd say Tattered Angels have more shimmer than Maya Mists, but that may be intentional!  That Ranger Perfect Pearls mist is BEAUTIFUL.  I use it on almost every layout that I mist.  It is a clear but very high sparkle - too beautiful for words & never fails to get an "Aaaah!" reaction on my layouts in real life!!


After building the foundations of my page I decided it needed some hand-stitching so I punched the sewing holes with my spike first.  Remember to do 2 close together then one further apart to get the effect that I've got ( you want a SMALL space between stitches - when your thread is at the back) & then a BIG space where your thread is showing - at the front...) SPIKING YOUR HOLES FIRST ENSURES ACCURACY

Here is the final product - posted on my blog yesterday.  Next I'll show you some close ups...

So I decided I needed to emphasize the scalloped paper more - so I edged it with thick white paing - roughly - intentionally - then added a heap of copper brads between the Stickles dots (always DELIGHTED to make a dent in my mountain of brads!)
Feathers were a must, of course, if you refer back to the picture, & those black flowers are actually metal & came off an alice-band of mine that broke :)  Am I the only one with a shoebox full of "weird bits???"...

I even found the perfect bling embellishment!  A shoe!!  and layered up those cute little flowers with various bits & bobs, including a hand-crocheted doily.
I could see that I needed some butterflies but didn't want any 3D ones or I thought the layout would become too full & busy, so I used rub-ons instead.  Also used some "Glitzers" stickers, which, unfortunately, in the photographs just glare, even without a flash (down at the bottom under "SHOES").  Added a bit of hand-journaling too...

Aaah now this pic above shows the frame sticker a bit more clearly, without the glare thank goodness...I added some floral embellies to the top scallop for a bit of clustered interest.  Then, after all that, went on over to the Get Picky site to find that the Mr. Linky had CLOSED!!!  A full 15 MINUTES EARLY!!!  Yes, I know I was cutting it fine but I WAS NOT LATE!!!  I quickly googled Australian Eastern Standard Time & screen-grabbed it including the time on my pc in the bottom right-hand corner. (click to enlarge).



I contacted the administrators, who eventually responded by saying they had no control over Mr. Linky & all they could think was that it wasn't entirely accurate when "you are down to the last few minutes before cut off time" so there you go girls - lesson learnt - Mr. Linky is not accurate & apparently there is nothing the blog administrators can do to over-ride it!  Wow!! 

To say I was disappointed is an understatement...I actually INTENTIONALLY leave my linking up "to the last minute" at times, because I prefer it that way, then all is fair & no-one else can use any of my layout details for inspiration.  (Hey, AFTER the challenges are OVER feel free to be inspired all you like!!!)

So that was a big lesson learnt for me today, after all that effort was spent on my layout...from now on I will NEVER leave it so long & will ALWAYS link up minimum ONE HOUR before closing time!  Aaaaanyway, I had a blast creating it, even if it did mean staying up half the night :)


Supplies:- Cardstock - black & plum - Bazzill Basics
Scalloped paper - Bo Bunny Persuasion "Forever" die-cut
Alphas - Thickers by Dear Lizzy for American Crafts (Puffy Letter Stickers "Berry") & Basic Grey "Origins"
Gold thread, copper brads & bling stilleto & red gem - stash
Paints - Making Memories - Lemon & Daiquiri & Genkem Craft Paint Mauve & Gesso.
Gold "Pretty Colour" ink & Tim Holtz Distress Stickles - Worn Lipstick
Mists - Tattered Angels Key Lime Pie, Maya Mists Sunflower Yellow & Ranger "Perfect Pearl"
Pink Paislee artisan element
Prima flowers & bling centre plus other from LSS & Cocoa Diasy kits
Feathers from LSS
Black flowers (metal) ephemera
Pearl buttons & numerals- Jenni Bowlin Studios
Bo-Bunny Gabrielle rub-ons
Glitz Designs "Glitzers" stickers
GCD studios - decorative strip (Melody Ross - Artsy Urban line)
White journaling pen - Hybrid gel grip

25 comments:

Bellaidea said...

What a lesson :(. Well, your layout is still very pretty!

Alison said...

I really do love this LO Helen..great title, by the way! So sorry that Mr Linky didn't play nice and thx for dropping by my blog earlier
Alison xx

Aussie TM5 Thermomixer said...

Hi Helen, it's Tanya here from Get Picky. Your layout is a delight and we thank you so much for entering our challenge. As explained in our email response to you earlier this evening, we can see that you linked up your layout in the comments section of our challenge post and you were in fact 13 minutes before the close off time of midnight on the 13th April. Your layout definitely WAS judged and considered and this was all explained in the email we sent you. We are very sorry that you were not named as the winner this time, however I just wanted to explain to you again that, despite what happened with thr link gadget, your layout was absolutely and definitely judged just like everyone else's layouts were.

Thank you

Jolanda said...

wow,Helen,this is amazing!!
Very pretty work!

Bente Fagerberg said...

Wow from me too Helen. This is a real piece of work (if you'll parden my pun..)Totally amazing. Love your tutorial too. Such a world of techniques on this one.Good job on using up some (i.e. MANY ) brads. Your girls are such STUNNERS and I am sure they will want a lot of retail therapy. I hope your big girl has settled down at uni and has not gotten home sick!
Oh yes;-No you are not the only one with boxes of weird bits for 'just in case'...lol!
Take care!

Bente Fagerberg said...

Wow from me too Helen. This is a real piece of work (if you'll parden my pun..)Totally amazing. Love your tutorial too. Such a world of techniques on this one.Good job on using up some (i.e. MANY ) brads. Your girls are such STUNNERS and I am sure they will want a lot of retail therapy. I hope your big girl has settled down at uni and has not gotten home sick!
Oh yes;-No you are not the only one with boxes of weird bits for 'just in case'...lol!
Take care!

Cathy said...

WOW Helen stunning LO, so much gorgeous detail and technique!!! Love your fantastic tutorial! Have a wonderful weekend :)

Cynthia Lloréns said...

Helen..this is just amazing work at all!!
Have a nice weekend
hugs
Cynthia

Lou said...

WOW Helen!!! ABSOLUTELY LOOOOVE this LO and the tute!! SO Dramatic and simply gorgeous!!! Feel so sorry for you re the time thing... I would be upset too!! As I am often a last 10min girl too!
Chin Up My Love.....:) Better things ahead!!!
Lou xxxx

Marelize said...

Wow! You've got a stunning blog here full of interesting bits. :) This layout is simply gorgeous! I love the paint splatters and all the other wonderful techniques you've used here. Thanks for sharing!
Have a great weekend!

scrapbookertink said...

Gorgeous, stunning, wow layout Helen, love all the techniques you have used.

Rossella said...

When I seeing the tutorial all is simple but your talent is not so simple! :) Your layout is fantastic and only you can make this! :) Favoloso!

Bernadine said...

Lovely layout Helen. As always you are a inspiration. Congratulations on getting onto all the design teams. You deserve it.

Paloma Scrapbook said...

I love it

Ella Swan said...

Hey girls! Thanks for all the great comments!! Makes me feel like all my effort WAS worth it after all - even just to inspire you in some small way :) Have a lovely weekend!!

Marilyn said...

AWESOME!!! love all the details here!!
Have a wonderful weekend! Hugs!! :)

Unknown said...

wow how cool amazing work Hon!!and so great details!!!
i wish you very great weekend

hugs Carla

Natalie Elphinstone said...

Great work here! Love the tutorial - makes it all seem so easy to put together, and yet the results are AMAZING!

Paloma Scrapbook said...

Hello dear...my blog is in Portuguese..I'm a begginer and love to find great artistic as you to be inspired..Loved your work and tips..I'm following you..Hope learn a lot with you. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Piglet said...

This is so bright and shiny and beautiful! Thanks for playing along with ST!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

HOLY SMOKES!!! This is AMAZING!!! HOLY WOWWWWWWWWWW!! I need to get my jaw off the floor after seeing this one! WOW!! I loveeeeeeeeeee that title...and OHHHHHHHH EVERYTHING else on here!! WOW! Thanks soooooooooooooooo much for playing along with Sketchy Thursdays! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

HuaĂ­na KĂ©lvia said...

Hello! this Lo is gorgeous!!!

Diana Fisher said...

Wow! And the tutorial is the best part! Thanks for using a ST challenge to make this fabulous blog post! :)

corrie said...

beautiful page. thanks for playing!

WhiteRacoon said...

Congratulations of winning at Sketchy thursdays! =) I voted for you =) You have a great project here =)