Friday 1 April 2011

How Do I Love Thee? {Thousands on the Road} Once Upon a Sketch

So did you pop by here today & see our first reveal?  With Piradee Talvanna kicking off on a long list of impressive guest designers we can only go from strength to strength hey?!
I've had this photo of my dear son Jack, printed since January & waiting to be scrapped.  I decided I MUST use it as I haven't scrapped a photo of him ALL YEAR!!!  {okay he doesn't give me many photo opportunities these days, being a teenager & all, but I must at least use the few photos I do have of him!}
I'm quite into layering it all up these days, and artsy effects, so I piled on a transparency, misted doily & then cut a circle out of corrugated white board & inked it with various distress inks & added a glittered scallop edge.
I added some black mesh that I sponged over with white gesso, some Prima pearl bling stickers & a big manly wooden button threaded with butcher's twine.
I cut the title strip out of a 12" transparency sheet {including the corner on the top left of the layout}& attached it with double-sided tape that I covered up with a GCD die-cut border, which I inked to make it a deeper shade of plum.
I'm not a great fan of masculine scrapbooking supplies.  I like pretty & if I can't scrap pretty I'd rather not scrap at all!  So I find ways of incorporating prettiness into my boy pages but always balance it out with a masculine aspect, in this case the colour-scheme.
Once Upon a Sketch is a sketch challenge blog with a twist - in that each fortnight there is also going to be a journaling challenge to accompany the sketch - this week it was to use at least 25 words of journaling - using your own hand-writing.
Fortunately I don't have a problem with my own handwriting but it does always present an extra challenge when trying to work out where to fit the journaling in so that the layout doesn't look unbalanced or crowded.
Here is a little sneak peek of my process - this time I cut everything to size, inked/prepared it all before I started sticking everything down.
I find that cluster quite manly even though I have used some Prima bling & a Prima pebble.
Supplies:-

Backing paper - DCWV Green Woodland Blue Wood
Printed paper - Prima - Paradise City Collection "Morning Orchids"
Transparency - Creative Imaginations - Sonnets
Mesh, polka-dot ribbon, brad, wax-seal, buttons - LSS - stash
Doily - Little Yellow Bicycle
Mists - Maya Road "Sunflower" & "Blue Hydrangea" & Tattered Angels Rose Tea
Distress Inks - Tim Holtz - Spun Sugar, Bundled Sage, Pumice Stone
Butcher's Twine - Martha Stewart
Bling pearl stickers & pebbles - Prima
Dark Brown Colour Box Ink
GCD "Artsy Urban" die-cut borders
Journaling pen - Artline 200 - 0.4 Black


11 comments:

dstandard said...

What a gorgeous page! Your son is adorable too!

Sabrina Scrapbook said...

Wow Helen!! Tq so much for sharing the tutorial and the processes in making this awesome page!! I really love the blue in the background and I always love your fabulous photos! I agree with you, I am not into masculine page or supplies either. And you are again right, because I am quite like you too - if I can't scrap things pretty, I rather do not scrap. We all love pretty things, don't we? :D But this page is so cool and gorgeous, Helen!! Something different, love it!! Enjoy your weekend!! Take care, yeah!! xoxo.

topkatnz said...

The expression is very cool:) good to record those family sayings.

Heather Jacob said...

ooohhh Helen ...what a magnificent presentation .. absolutely awesome page .... perfection plus ... hugz x

Jasmine S said...

This looks fantastic. I love your choice of colors and the journaling style is perfect. Love the close ups to show of the beautiful detail.

Lynette Jacobs said...

This is a gorgeous layout Helen...

BTW Congrats on making the DT for Inspired Blueprints...I am positively green:-)

Kim Sonksen said...

I love your layering - what a gorgeous layout!
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today as well. I appreciate your lovely comment

Keshet said...

I love this! And cool to see your process!

Unknown said...

what fantastic beautiful page my friend very cool sketch to really a fave!!!

and have a very wonderful day
hugs carla

Anonymous said...

Great to see the process of how you create.
Thanks for the reveal.
I appreciate your lovely comments on my blog too : )

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

When I first found you on blogland, it was your "masculine" layout that captured my attention as I often have problem scrapping my son's photo, this is another great reminder of why I LOVE your work, on top of that, great journaling again, you are such a great inspiration, thanks Helen!!!