Wednesday 20 October 2010

Broadway? Yes way! {Okay not Quite...} Layout Share

Ooh Blogger is on a go-slow for me today so just a quick LO share ;-D  Every coupla years we head up to Botswana to visit the mum-in-law & stay for a week or two.  She has always loved the theatre so she makes the kids put on a show that they rehearse each day & we all sit down to watch it on our last night.  The kids used to LOVE it - now of course, they are getting a bit old for it & starting to LOATHE it lol...but this was a few years ago when they were still happy to be treated like circus animals hee hee...

I sprayed the black cardstock with some bright yellow at the top, to mimic the effect of stage lights.  Whenever I mist I find I have to back my entire backing sheet onto another piece to stop it from buckling.  I have read about Studio Calico's "Mr. Huey" {inspired name ;-D} not causing the paper to buckle but I now have a whole wooden crate full of glimmer mists {Tattered Angels & Maya Mists} & am going to be using them up before purchasing any more!

I didn't have an "O" left in my Sassafras stickers {the big yellow & white ones} so I used a "C" & stuck the "A" right next to it.  The disco ball in the top left corner is a hambly studio doily sticker.  I got a couple of packs of them in my last online goody box & they're almost finished!  The printed paper is very old, a "no-name brand" manufacturer but it is a versatile print I tell you.  I got quite a bit of it & that's the last sheet.
A little tip {especially for the locals} - see that bright pink strip there under the punching?  That's a Lever Arch File Spine Strip - self-adhesive- bought @ Waltons in a pack with various other bright colours - about an inch thick each - inspired!  Just peel & stick ;-D

I came up with probably my longest title ever - "Broadway?  Yes way!  Okay, not Quite!"  - I think up these weird & wonderful titles as I'm working on the layout btw...I also sanded the edges of the photos ever so slightly - to help them "pop" against the black-based print.


A quick one as you can see!

Supplies:-  Cardstock {Bazzill} mustard & black, Multi-colour p/p, Hambly Screen Prints doily stickers, Sassafras Alphas, dots & brackets,  Dear Lizzy by American Crafts alphas,  Pink Paislee alphas, white journal pen Inksentials, Yellow Maya Mist, Sanding block, Martha Stewart punch, Pink Lever arch file strip. {11 manufacturers}

7 comments:

Shayne said...

Quick but completely effective at translating the story you wanted to!

Well done xx

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

This is a cool one, I love your brilliant idea of changing that letter "C" to the letter "O", very clever!

topkatnz said...

haha - love the story behind that Layout - and your description of the kids being made to perform 'like circus animals' - classic!!

Unknown said...

Hi Helen, found your link on "location central". I love to scrapbook, but never have time for it - too busy making collages. Your blog is great! Keep well
Tania

Lynette Jacobs said...

This is a great layout and it tells the story...shame...those poor kids;-D

Pearl said...

oooo so many great tips here , my friend !!!!especially that overlapped sticker to hide the lack of an O !!! woot !

Yes I hear you there ! the solution is not necessarily in buying new brands of mist but fixing the problem with what's on hand ! having said that - I am soo loving the Parisian Anthology papers so much now - it's gonna be harder to go back to misting to cardstock - but here's another oh, no ! Tattered Angels will be releasing a cardstock block - with the promise of the paper not buckling .....there is some warping with the Parisian Anthology pps but not as bas as with cardstock or pp - but again if we're patient - putting something heavy or even ironing might solve most of the problem ....;)

Diana said...

Love the theatre idea. Wish I could get my nieces and nephews to do that at family get togethers. Maybe I'll be able to get my kids to do it when they're old enough.
I am avoiding mists. I don't want any more stuff!