Tuesday 21 September 2010

Roast Dinner!

This is not the post I had planned but, you know, I don't care! I feel like talking about other stuff, besides scrapbooking, & if that means I don't get as many comments as usual or whatever...well, so be it ;-D Anyhoo...all keen scrappers are keen photographers right?! So I thought I'd show y'all some snaps of our dinner on Saturday night!

DH bought this pork roast last week & I was a bit horrified, seeing as I loathe pork, having lived next door to a pig farmer for many years as a child, & having eaten pork in every different configuration imaginable to humankind, complete with hairs! Yup...think that's probably what did it...the fried pinky white hairs!

But perhaps my abstinence for a decade {or 2 or 3...} has cured me as I have to say it was deeeeeeelicious! And as you can see I did an okay job on it right?! All praise to Delia Smith, considering I had not a clue what to do with this hunka meat & DH was seriously delayed at a cricket match & arrived home after 8 in the evening...

I felt sorry for my boys, stuck on the freeway for hours, & thought I'd dive right in & cook a nice big family dinner for us all for when they got back. Not sure if it was fluke or I'm just a natural LOL but once I had actually commited to spending a good few hours in the kitchen I actually focused & got over my domestic ADD long enough to produce something not "cajun" {ie:- burnt!}

Good thing I don't stress about calorie counts over the weekend as I don't think this would fit into my low fat, low GI eating plan ;-D Let me tell you that a crunchy roast potato is a big hassle to make but worth every bit of peeling, fork scoring, dry-pan tossing, par-boiling & basting... Think I may make the effort EVERY weekend from now on!

Sweetcorn has ALWAYS been one of my all-time faves. Give it to me from a tin & I'll happily accept too...creamed...yum! So there you have it. Forgot to get a pic of the scrumptious roast butternut...soz! So this weekend we got a phonecall from some old friends from Zimbabwe, here on a "holiday" {back surgery} & I invited them to lunch on Sunday! Brave, yes?!






10 comments:

Jessy Christopher said...

Oh my gosh!! That looks so yummy...drooling. Lol!! Oh yeah I never liked seeing any kind of hair on my piece of meat...eeewww!! Have fun cooking a storm for ur old friends :)

topkatnz said...

Getting all prepared for your Project Life album there!heehee

Stefanie said...

I love pork, esp bacon and gammon.
Your roasties look fab, not fully understanding the whole process though. Could you walk us through that, pretty please?
I just pre-cook in micro and then fry.

Shayne said...

Oh yummy. I must say a pork roast that is roasted correctly is just scrumptious - and yours fits the bill perfectly.

When ya coming for lunch darl (and doing the cooking) ;)

Bernadine said...

Oh yummy and I am so angry as I did not eat anything yesterday. I have mastered a lamb roast but have never cooked a pork roast. I do want to try it so please do share you recipe. :)

Shane said...

I think you should do some more food posts darling ! And as the beneficiary of the above culinary delight, I can confirm that it was indeed DELICIOUS & cooked to perfection !!

Ella Swan said...

LOL so funny when DH hijacks the comments don't you think?! Well I shall have to share the recipe so look out for it in an upcoming post {me sharing a recipe - now that IS funny...}I did enjoy the food photography though I must say ;-D

tania said...

DELICIOUS!!! Well done on this dinner, the roast came out perfect!!
You captured the dinner so well.

Lynette Jacobs said...

I think it is so sweet that your DH reads your blog;-D

This food looks delish, and there is nothing quite like home cooked meals.

Andrea said...

Looks divine - I can never get my crackling like that so well done you....