Monday 20 September 2010

Jessy's Challenge




Well this computer is taking some getting used to let me tell you! Not enjoying the process at all despite the crystal clear graphics LOL. Finally here are my images - taken FOREVER to upload whereas before they loaded almost instantly! Anyway, enough moaning...here is my layout for the "Friendly Challenge" over at Jessy's. Not sure how it happened but I got a slightly different Inspiration Picture that you can see I printed out in the photo below. Anyway, the colours were the same LOL {Thank Goodness hee hee...} This was the only photo I had that matched & as my printer is now broken {yes....grrrr...} I had to make do with it ;-D

I pulled out my new stash bag & immediately my eyes fell upon the October Afternoon "Fly a Kite" line with the blue & orange shades. The photo is an old one from a frame. Not in the best condition as it somehow got "stuck" to the glass & I had to try to steam it off, rather unsuccessfully, so I had to trim it down quite a bit. Pre-digi photography days so not simple to just reprint {especially as my printer is broken in any case lol} Have a basket full of negatives which I need to scan into my pc one of these fine days...

Decided on white bazzill for the base as it's always so crisp, clean & modern, & some swiss-dot bazzill in the most gorgeous shade of cornflower blue. Also added in some candy pink bazzill to tie-in with the pink flowers in the vase on the inspiration photo. Then used 2 prints from the OA Fly a Kite line & added in one from the new Cosmo Cricket Line too. {Delovely it's called & it sure is...} Sun, flower & pinky polka dot scallop border stickers all from Echo Park Sweet Summertime Line & date sticker & multi-coloured alphas from OA Fly a Kite line. "Holiday" alphas Dear Lizzy by American Crafts.

With stash like that it's not hard to pull off something sweet quickly & easily. Took me 2 hours from start to finish which is speed scrapping for me. We all LOVE this photo in our family...especially Cami's vibrancy at 3 & the way Reilly {at 5} is grabbing on to Chelsea's arm! A rather chubby arm at that I might add...she has certainly slimmed out since being 10...

This pleating is seriously easy if you precut your strips {you need 3 times as much as the distance you want to cover} - helps that I am very used to pleating from my sewing & pattern-making days. You just line the strip up with the cm markings on your cutting mat & bring the 3cm back to the 2cm, etc, continually pleating so that there is a one cm space between each pleat.

On my latest stash shopping spree I bought tons of alphas & am so glad that I did. I have a great selection now & use these all the time so they are never wasted. The Dear Lizzy ones above are a re-order so now I am getting to use up all the consonants I never used up before!

Here is a list of all the other ladies participating in the "Friendly Challenge". If you are interested in playing along with Jessy leave a comment on her blog & you can join in next time! I have come to learn, through this wonderful blogging pastime, that scrappers from Malaysia/Thailand/Singapore/etc are seriously talented, with a free, artistic style that really appeals to me so I am honoured to have been part of Jessy's challenge & have already signed up for her next one! Hope your week got off to a good start Blog People...

13 comments:

topkatnz said...

Very cute - love the long narrow photo shape - and I love seeing everyone so young! nice work.

Jessy Christopher said...

Wow, 2 hours for this!! Amazing!! The pleating is so perfect looking. Mine will be crooked and all. Lol. Totally agree on the photo, a beautiful one indeed! You totally rock the challenge & I can't wait to see what you will do next!

Wishful Thinking said...

Beautiful LO - even if you were taking inspiration of the wrong pic hehee Doesn't matter anyway - it looks fab and as you said - the colours are pretty much the same :-)
I love your pleating too - SOOOOO neat! ;-)

Diana said...

Beautiful LO and photo too. Love the pleats.

tania said...

Oh helen, i love this,all about it and especially that pleating!! the colours are beautiful and the photo is stunning:)
you surely nailed this one!!!

Stefanie said...

This one is beautiful.
Don't know that I have the patience for all that pleating, but you nailed it.

Shayne said...

Helen i think I can quite safely say that this is my fav out of all of your LO's! It is gorgeous! The colours, the paper choice - not too many embellies and the photo just pops.

Well done (and on the pleating too!)

Sandy Ang said...

What a fantastic pic and your LO showcased it so well. Thanks for the pleating tip.

Nilla said...

Fantastic LO and take on the challenge! Hugs Nilla

Bernadine said...

Love this one. :) All your layouts are lovely.

Lynette Jacobs said...

I love it...ALL of it! Simply stunning colours,design and photo.

Ella Swan said...

Well thanks girls! Seems like I should just stick to quick & simple then ;-D The pleating is really quick & easy - you should try it - no marking & measuring - just folding against the edge of a ruler or craft mat!

Pearl said...

such a fab pic you've scrapped here & a wonderful layout with those papers ! the pleats really give a special touch !