Saturday 21 August 2010

Sketch Inspirations Challenge {Matric Dance}



I've been hanging out a bit here & enjoying it. I prefer Ning! Communities to challenge blogs because you can upload your layout straight into their gallery as opposed to having to post it on your blog & link it up. This is the 2nd challenge I've done for them.













Honestly, I'm not a big fan of circles on layouts. I prefer sticking with straight lines! Working through Chelsea's Matric Dance layouts has been so simple though, thanks to all the challenges.

I used plain white bazzill here, backed onto black, then a strip of Pink Paislee 365 Degrees stripe & some of the other prints from the same line for the circles. This is a very versatile range of products & I've enjoyed working with it a lot. Just my cup of tea!

I used a couple of rub-ons for a change as I have a whole BIG tray full of 'em & want to use them all up! I'm so OFF rub-ons & hardly ever buy them anymore as they are just too temperamental & difficult to store. Often some of the image doesn't "rub on" & I have to draw it in using a fineliner pen, and once you have cut into a sheet it is difficult to keep the rest of the rub-ons nicely in the packet & often they get damaged - so I will be avoiding all but the most beautiful in future!

The little flowers I've used are paper ones called "Ittybitties" by Petaloo I think. They come pre-blinged & in a big pack of assorted colours so are good value when you want to use a lot! The little butterflies are from my local craft shop.

I used Prima velvet flower ribbon & topped it with an inexpensive scallop paper ribbon from my LCS, then pleated & stitched an American Crafts Blue Skies ribbon beneath it. Alphas by Pink Paislee & strip bling from Everlasting {which sadly burnt to the ground this week so no more where that came from for the time being!}

It doesn't do much for me to be honest - this page. Not sure why but I don't really like it, although I can't pin-point why as there doesn't appear to be anything technically wrong with it!




11 comments:

Bernadine said...

Oh no I think it is stunning. Maybe you not sure about it because of the circles but I think it is stunning. I have just bought myself the creative memories circle so I am a bit circle mad at the moment. :)

Ella Swan said...

Thanks Bernie! Yup I got that a while ago...the circle cutters - the 3 sizes with the 3 different blades? Red, yellow & blue? I love that - great tool - but the only fault is that the circles are quite small so I always end up tracing around a plate for the bigger sizes!

Bernadine said...

Helen they have bought out a very very big circle now. I must be honest on the red blade to me it is still small - the size it looks when you look at it makes you think it would fill the whole page.

Vicki said...

Love that sketch (and the circles). At least you have done another page for Chelseas album. I am tending to use up older photos for challenges as its one way of getting them done.

topkatnz said...

We are always our own harshest critic - but some LOs just don't do it for us as much as others. All that said, they usually all look great when put in the context of an album - remembering that every page does not need to be a great work of art. or maybe it's just all those circles ... I love it anyways, and I love a good circle layout!

Pearl said...

great take on the sketch , Helen !! love your use of Pink Paislee 365 here !

I haven't played with their sketches as much as I would want to .

Ella Swan said...

Vicki you should sign up - the sketches are really good! Heidi you're right - we can't love every page to bits! Pearl I missed this week aswell. Had Jack's talent show & school musical yesterday so just no time this week ;-D

Diana said...

Yeah, sometimes it just doesn't feel right... I know all about that... .

tania said...

i love what you did with this sketch helen!
the colours are brilliant and i like all the white, beautiful photos:)well donexxxxx

Shayne said...

I'm not a big lover of circles either but i think you did good here? We all have LO's we're not mad about about - maybe this is too busy? I don't know!

Didn't know that CM had brought out a bigger circle cutter, will have to order it methinks!

Jessy Christopher said...

I am not very good with circles either but you did a great job with it! Love your layout and the striking color. That handwriting is seriously pretty too!!