Tuesday 1 December 2009

I Did a Grid - Oh Yes I Did!!!



During the Cocoa Daisy Fall Crop a couple of weekends ago Ronda challenged us to create a layout inspired by any one of these CD covers. I thought it was a great idea & liked a number of them but went through my photos "to scrap" & came across 10 small photos that needed scrapping in one layout, so I decided on the "Beastie Boy" cover as the colours were right too...{2nd down on the left}.

I certainly didn't enjoy the exactness of it all but did learn {quickly} what to do next time I create a grid layout. It's very important that everything lines up exactly & it wasn't easy for me - being an "I hate measuring" type. No shortcuts are tolerated in this design but the advantage is that you can fit many photos onto one layout.

I took the above photo because I couldn't resist how much more lively it looked when twisted to an angle - norty I know! The photo below is the actual layout with the correct orientation ;-D They are all perfectly straight & parallel but don't look 100% in the photos because of the camera angle. {**Promise!}

I was very happy with how it turned out eventually but the photos kept getting smaller & smaller as I struggled to line them all up perfectly LOL! Altogether I used TEN photos, which I think is pretty impressive on a single layout, but 8 of them are joined together, which I didn't think looked too bad with these photos as they were all dominantly green.

The title letters are DCWV rub-on stitching.

The simple cardstock "embellishment" above was added on after all the photos were adhered as I had no more photo & thought the gap needed to be filled. It's just a couple of cardstock offcuts with a strip of American Crafts ribbon adhered over the join. The white alphas are Doodlebug & the red alphas are Pink Paislee.

Hand-journaling with a white milky pen {I have about a dozen because I find them so temperamental}.

The die-cut arrow is from October Afternoon.

I like to incorporate visual triangles into my layouts if possible & if you scroll up you will be able to spot 2 I was able to create by the placement of my title & embellishments. I'm glad I have a layout now about the "atmosphere" at the rugby in Durban. It is renowned throughout the country as being the best & most social, with lots of food & drink stalls & a whole social scene that takes place on the grounds long before, and long after, the actual match.

Ooops! I almost forgot to tell you...this is the layout that won me a surprise prize over at Cocoa Daisy.

The bad news is that I am full of flu. I woke up this morning feeling like my tonsils had been amputated minus the anaesthetic & now every tap on this keyboard is registering aches up my fingers so I am off to shower now & dive under the covers! I am still having a major tidy-up of my scrap supplies but am just having to settle for sorting out an area per day - slowly slowly wins the race? Baby steps?? Whatever...



11 comments:

Stefanie said...

Shame, sorry that you're feeling awful and trust that you recover quickly. Load of on Vit C and Viralguard.
I loved the stiching...for a moment (until I read the fine print) I thought you'd done it hand stitching.

iris said...

I love the grid style!! Your page is so full of energy and colors too.

Oh I am sorry that you are down with the flu. Rest for now and PUT DOWN YOUR SCISSORS! haha. W

Sandra said...

Love this, Helen!

It reminds me of a photo essay, like the ones you see in the centre of magazines.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Diana said...

As a huge fan of grids I have to say that this looks marvelous! Good for you! And yes, the getting it lined up is a pain. You'd think it would be easier, eh? I've found the only way to get it to look right (though it might not actually BE all correct) is to do a smaller than 12x12 grid and then mat it on to a 12x12 backing sheet. It gives you a bit more room to maneuver.

my paper love studio said...

wow... lovin this and definitely agree with lonely scrapbooker there... a huge fan of grids tooo :)

tania said...

this is a stunning layout helen, have a few grids, maybe i should go dig them out, hope you feel much better, not a good time for the flu, take LOTS of vitamine C,at least 2000mg, promise it works!

Penny said...

Sorry to hear you're not feeling good! This is EXACTLY the sort of layout I love - my natural inclination is to do things like this - appeals to the orderly side of me I guess!

Desire Fourie said...

Oh wow Helen, I totally love this layout ... one of my favourites amongst your creations and its a fab take on the inspirational CD cover. So sorry to hear about your flu ... I was down 3 days last week with it ... so hang in there and just take it easy.
Hugs
Desire

Mia Castrillo said...

Great layout, Helen! Love how you put all those photos together and the visual traingles made it more appealing. Hope you're feeling better soon! Hugs!

Lynette Jacobs said...

So sorry to hear you have the flu...take care of yourself...lots of Vit C, fluids and rest.

Love, love, love that layout...and it is sooo true that SA rugby revolves around the beer...lol!

Ella Swan said...

Well there you go! Seems like grids are the way to go! Definitely like the idea of fitting more photos onto one layout & still having space for a title & a couple of embellishments so can definitely see the appeal. Yup LS I have to say I thought it would be A LOT easier - but to get it all perfectly aligned & the same size is definitely harder than I imagined! I was seriously losing faith in my abilities on this one LOL! But it was worth overcoming all my insecurities in the end. Thanks for all the encouragement girls ;-D