Friday 16 January 2009

RIGHT NOW

(Can't claim this as entirely my own but I did adapt & shorten it).

I would never trade my wonderful life & loving family for fewer wrinkles or a flatter belly. As I've aged I've become kinder to myself & a lot less self critical. I've become my own friend & don't chastise myself for eating that extra cookie or not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant.

I have seen too many people leave this world too soon, before they understood the great freedom that comes with ageing. Whose business is it if I choose to read or stay on the computer until 4 a.m. and sleep until noon if I feel like it? I will dance with myself to my favourite 80's music & walk on the beach in a swim suit stretched over my bulging body if I choose.

So what is I forget stuff? Some things in life are best forgotten anyway! Of course I've taken a battering along my journey through life but a broken heart is what's given me strength & empathy for others. I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my laughter etched into my face - so many have died without the time for that.

As you get older it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself as much anymore - I've earned the right to be wrong! I like getting older. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I'm not going to be on this earth forever but while I am still here I will not waste time lamenting what could have been or worrying about what will be, but will simply be satisfied to savour the life I am leading RIGHT NOW.

2 comments:

Desire Fourie said...

Thanks for sharing this uplifting food for thought. A good way to start the weekend with. Have a great weekend. Hugs from Desire

Michelle Ramsay said...

I have to agree with you totally as that is exactly how I am feeling with life at the moment. I am in such a happy and contented place and love the days that I have to do what ever I chose. Thanks for sharing.