Tuesday 13 January 2009

I'm told it's called a "Shout out!"...

I didn't know it had a name actually, but I've found myself needing to come up with a term for giving someone a little credit on my blog, so I've called it giving them a "plug." My son Jack tells me it's a "Shout Out"...anyway, whatever it's called, if you click on "Heidi" on the right-hand side of this post (you'll see her name under her quote, below the title "My word for 2009 is YES") you'll see that she has very kindly written a few good words in my favour. Much appreciated.

Life is rather mundane at the moment as I go through the motions with the kids, getting them prepared for their school year ahead. It's kinda weird being in this "limbo land" after the furore that is Christmas. This week involves the weaning process of calming the kids down into more of as routine, as they have become accustomed to staying up 'til all hours & sleeping in. It's gonna be a rude awakening next week Wednesday 6.30a.m. School days are long for them here & we're only home at 3o'clock, providing they have no school sports or clubs in the afternoon.

If they don't then we usually go off for tennis lessons (all of them - at different times & on different days I might add...), extra Afrikaans (Chelsea & Jack - different days/different times), Speech Therapy (Reilly), extra Maths (Cami), guitar(Chelsea) or extra Cricket(Jack). Needless to say, I'm not relishing the thought of going back to work in my capacity as taxi-driver! 'Specially as I'm gonna be half-cooked by the time they finish. There's not much room for lee-way during the term, which is why we go "all-out" in the holidays. It's pretty much work, work & work!

We collected the stationery today so there was great excitement opening up the Waltons boxes & remembering what book covers & pencil cases each child had chosen a couple of months ago. Now the grind starts as we sit on the floor covering copious amounts of exercise books. Daisy has become a permanent appendage on Camryn's arm, so the poor critter will miss all the attention (bar her trips around the pool on the boogie board I'm sure...) I'm slowly re-connecting with you all out there & getting onto all my favourite blogs (so many...) to see what you have all been up to.

Our weekend was surprisingly social. We had friends for dinner on Saturday night (not something I take on often as we're usually out at sports matches, etc on Saturdays AND Sundays). Sunday morning saw us at the Wimpy for breakfast then doing the weekly grocery shop before rushing home in time for lunch with MORE friends (feeling popular LOL!) We have friends visiting from Australia (ex-Zimbabweans who emmigrated 8 years ago, back on their first visit to Africa) so I cooked their lunch the night before, after our dinner guests left. I should be exhausted but am feeling amazingly good. I have been on the Body for Life diet (still minus the exercise part at the moment!) for about 10 days now & it has definitely given me more energy.

I have been making enquiries at local gyms re: popping in after the school-run every morning, but can't seem to find a small, ladies-only gym where I can be left to my own devices. I either have to join Virgin Active, along with the rich & famous, skip away to a 29 minute circuit class at scheduled times or get myself a personal trainer to put me through my paces. I have the Body for Life book & know how to do the exercises (from healthier days gone by...) so just need the use of the equipment really. I don't need someone to motivate me, the size of my butt does that...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

HeeHee ... now I've done the Tower of Terror at Dreamworld Aust.!! In fact we all have ... it's not nearly as bad as it looks ... and sounds!! We've still got a few more weeks of school hols here in NZ ... Mitchell starts back 2nd Feb and Ashlee just a couple of half days that week, and then back proper the following ... know what you mean about the Taxi-driver bit tho ...!!good luck ...

Desire Fourie said...

Good luck getting into 2009's busy routine. Just a thought on the gym front ... why don't you try CURVES gym. Its an only women gym and they have branches all over the country. I know there is one in Hillcrest and there should be others in the KZN region ... perhaps google it. Hugs from Desire

Vicki said...

Been there done with all the extra stuff after school - thankfully we don't have all that now. Aaron starts back the earliest for us on the 27th Jan and Alexia only has a couple of hours that week. Back to aquajogging tomorrow though.

jacki janse van rensburg said...

i see you got a sitemeter working silently in the corner now....

jacki

Anonymous said...

thanks for the comment on my blog.

and i didn't think i would get to 20 000 either. it took me 6 months to get to 1000 hits, and you have 2000+ already!

i'm glad the sitemeter is working for you. did you get it to back-date? it keeps detailed stats for 1 year.

Monique Liedtke said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog...just read your post: Jeez, what a busy schedule you have!! I thought my week was busy, but it's nothing compared to yours! By the way, through your blog I found my way to "journaling junkie" and decided to play along there...hope you don't mind! Have a nice day!
Monique